chapter four

I did finally manage to compose myself, realising getting upset was not doing my Grandfather any good as I noticed he was looking really tired. He then he insisted that Ricardo should take me back home, after all we had a lot to discuss.

We left my Grandfather to rest, and I promised to call in the next day again.

Then I found myself reluctantly following Ricardo out of the room.

As we walked out of the hospital neither of us spoke. Even though there was a hundred things I really wanted to say to Ricardo at that moment, but I just didn't know how , or where to begin.

I felt even more awkward around him now, than ever before.

Once outside, I walked towards the hospital gates to leave, but Ricardo stopped in his tracks, "Where are you going? The car park is over here," he informed me, turning and gesturing with a wave of his hand towards the side of the hospital building.

Now I faltered uncertainly, not sure what to do, "I was going to get the bus back, the same way I came," I replied

His dark eyes narrowed as they surveyed me for a moment, as if he was trying to decide if I was being serious or not.

"Your Grandfather asked me to take you home," he then reminded me pointedly, walking up to me.

I suddenly felt nervous being within such close proximity of him again. But I managed to find my voice

"I-I know. But you don't have to, I will be alright getting back on the bus," I replied in what I hoped was a casual tone.

The thought of having to sit next with him in a car, was just too much for my nerves at the moment.

He laughed a little mockingly and shook his head, "Oh no Mouse, you are not getting off that easily. After all, as your Grandfather rightly pointed out, we have a lot to discuss; so I think you are coming back with me," he stated in a tone that brooked no argument, then taking my elbow in his firm grip, he led me over towards the car park.

It had the effect of loosening my tongue, as my nerves got the better of me.

" Y-You are not seriously going to go along with this marriage thing? We have to think of a way to get my Grandfather and your parents to change their minds they can't really expect us to go through with it ... I don't know why you act like you are going along with it, I know you don't want to marry me"

"I am glad you realise that," he then replied in a clipped tone, his expression flinty

"Then why didn't you say something back there, when we were with my Grandfather? He seems to think you were fine with it" I pointed out in bewilderment.

"Because what I want, is irrelevant in this case," Ricardo replied curtly.

"I don't understand" I replied in bewilderment

"No you wouldn't" he retorted dryly

We had reached his car and he opened the door for me to get in. Once we were both sitting in the car and the doors were closed, he addressed me again

"Apparently, my parents think it's time I got myself a little wife and settled down properly. Conveniently enough your name came up," Ricardo explained, then let out a heavy sigh before continuing,

"My mother discovered I was screwing around with Carla behind Tony's back, and she was not happy with me. So she and my father decided the best punishment, was to marry me off to you," he finished staring moodily out the windscreen in front of him