2

Alby and I worked on a new hut for me so I could have some privacy. We also built 2 treehouses. One open in the glade--thats what we decided to call it, and we are the gladers-- and another in the forest where I sat down earlier. That one we promised only we would know of. We made our own little garden for fresh fruits and vegetables. The Creators, they are the bastards who put us here, send up any other supplies that we might need in the box.

Soon enough a month passes and we hear a loud blaring sound. Alby and I share a quick glance as we run over to the box. We wait for the box to reach to top. We open to doors to reveal a boy with dirty blond or sand blond hair with deep brown eyes. He looks up at us and I can't help but feel like I know him. 

"Where am I? Who are you guys?"

"I'm Alby and that is Ellie" he responds while pointing at me. 

"Your in what Alby and I call the Glade."

I can see the boy think as he looks us up and down skeptical about us. 

"We won't hurt you. I promise." I extend my hand down the box to help him up. He reluctantly takes it. 

"Ellie will give you the tour."

"Come one Greenie! There's not much to show, but there's enough to be proud of."

"Over here is where we will sleep. You can take that hammock." I say pointing to a hammock in the back. We walk over to the picnic table and kitchen. "It's not the sturdiest but it's the best we got." After showing the greenie the rest of the glade we go to the fire and sit down. 

"So greenie, do you remember anything?"

After thinking he responds, "No... wait... "

His voice unfocused until I couldn't hear what he was saying. It didn't matter though. I was looking at a boy, probably 17, with sandy blond hair, and brown eyes. I could lose myself in his eyes. 

"... Ellie? Hello? Earth to Ellie!"

It took me a little to realize I had been staring. 

"Oh. Sorry. What were you saying?"

We talked and talked until the night. Alby came over to us and suggested we have a bonfire. We both agreed. 

The fire was blazing and was 10 ft in the air. I was sitting pretty far but could still feel the warmth. 

"This is nice," I say. "We should do this every time a new kid comes up from the box."

"The box?"

"Oh right. That's what you came out of when you got here. It also brings us our monthly supplies."

"Can I ask to get something brought up?"

Alby and I share a quick glance before he responds. "I don't know we've never tried that. You're welcome to try."

We sit for a few minutes in silence. Then we hear a clang of metal. We all sit up and look towards the sound.

"Don't worry I'll go check it out," and with that Alby leaves. 

"What's that?"

"What's what?" I asked.

"That on your hand..."

"Oh. It's a ring. I've had it on since I got here. I think someone important to me gave it to me. You know... before the whole maze thing."

"It looks pretty" he replies. 

He looks down at his hand and I can see his expression change.

"What is it?"

Keeping his gaze on his hand he says, "Hm? Oh I remembered my name."

"Yeah? What is it?"

"It's Newt."

"Like the lizard?"

"What?! N-- well yeah I guess."

"Good. Because I'm gonna call you Lizard."

After that we don't talk much. We just stare at the stars. I lay down on the grass and try to match up the constellations in my head. Ursa Minor, Use Major, Cleopatra, Cassiopeia, Orion. There are so many more I can't see. I must have fallen asleep because when I wake up the fire is all out and cleaned up. I head back to my hammock to try to sleep some more. I sit there awake thinking about how I could know the new Greenie. Come to think of it, I never even noticed his thick British accent. But why did he have an accent. Where even is the glade? Eventually my eyes drift closed and I am immersed in a deep sleep.

***

A/N: The next chapter will be in Newt's POV just as a heads up.