Chapter 32

*Contains sexually explicit content*

Olivia

Cassie sounded very hoarse as she spoke her first words in what felt like a lifetime. It sounded like music to my ears. She winced in pain, clearing her throat softly from the stress that using her voice put on her after three weeks.

My hand seemed to automatically grab for her's, putting it up to my face. I felt as if I was dreaming.

"Cassie?" I questioned once more as if I was trying to convince myself that what my eyes were seeing and what my hands were touching was real.

Cassie's fingers brushed across my cheek lightly as she opened her mouth, preparing to speak. She looked exhausted, like every sound or movement that she made drained her.

"I-I think you've said enough." She breathed out, a half-smile tugging at the edges of her pale lips. "I heard you...well, some of the cheesy ass speeches you gave at least." She laughed, rolling her eyes.

I couldn't help but join in her laughter, shaking my head at her impeccable sense of humor and sarcasm. Without a doubt, she was still Cassie, and I was undeniably happy to have my best friend back.

"Wait, you heard me?"

Cassie nodded her head but then pulled her brows together as if contemplating her answer. "Well, parts of what you were saying...I could hear but not really understand sometimes. I don't know how to explain it, babes. But I knew when it was you or Russ or Jason. I think I heard my mom at some point too."

"Both of your parents were here," I assured her. "They came the day after the accident and stayed for two whole weeks...your mom had to be peeled away from your side."

"Two weeks?!" She exclaimed, causing herself to cough harshly. Her hand clutched at her chest in response, alarming me as I watched.

"Cass, are you okay? We should call a doctor in and let them know you're up." I stated, searching for the call button on her bed.

"Olivia...two weeks?" She repeated, grabbing my hand in her much colder ones, stopping me in my tracks.

My eyes drifted over to her, examining the sudden panic that had replaced the once mellow look in her eyes.

"Technically, almost three Cass, let me call the doctor. You don't look so well..." I trailed off, feeling my heart rate pick up in my chest.

"Olivia," Cassie stated firmly, catching me off guard once more. "My baby."

"Cassie, he's-"

"No...no." She whispered, feeling her stomach and then lifting her gown, revealing the large bandage covering the incision from her c-section. "My baby Olivia, what happened to my baby?" She panicked, growing more and more hysterical by the second.

She struggled in the bed, attempting to move her legs to sit up, but she couldn't.

"Cass, wait a minute, just listen to me," I begged. "You had to have an emergency c-section this morning...not even two whole hours ago. Not only that but your pelvis is practically shattered, so try to stop moving so much."

I watched in horror as Cassie began to hyperventilate before rushing to push the call button that I had finally located on the remote beneath her blanket.

Within seconds her doctor and nurses rushed into the room to see what was going on. For a moment, each of them was merely shocked to see her awake,  but that quickly turned to concern once they took in her demeanor.