Chapter 37

Jason

The sharp aroma of coffee filled the air as I walked into the living area, over to the breakfast bar where Olivia sat with a cup of coffee in hand. Her hair was still damp from her morning shower, and the smell of coconut shampoo enveloped my nostrils as I walked behind her, loosely wrapping my arms around her small frame.

Her hands brazed gently across the surface of my skin, sending a wave of warmth and comfort throughout me. She had a way with touch that made me feel like everything was going to be okay. She made the concept of being vulnerable okay, something I'd never been able to do in my past relationships. The last few days have been some of the hardest of my life, and I knew there would be days filled with highs and lows from this point out, but she was there for me.

As I sat down beside her, I watched as she took a rather large sip of her coffee, a rim from the milk foam staining her top lip temporarily as she quickly wiped it before smiling up at me with those beautiful brown eyes.

I loved this woman. Every single thing about her was crafted to perfection.

"Good morning, sweetheart," I greeted, brushing her brunette hair back from her cheek.

"Good morning." she grinned. "I made you coffee." She stated, sliding a mug over to me. "I made it with toffee nut creamer, just like you like it."

"It smells delicious, baby. I'm going to put it in one of those little disposable coffee cups you got us when you moved in. Excellent thinking." I chuckled, taking a sip.

I watched as the precious smile on her face turned to a look of anguish. She placed her mug on the countertop and folded her arms across her chest. 

"Baby, are you positive you're ready to go back to work today? I was hoping you'd change your mind."

"Come here," I whispered, pulling her from her stool and into my arms.

Although she kept her arms tightly tucked across one another, her head rested gently on my shoulder. I pressed a soft kiss against the top of it, suddenly feeling upset for making her sad.

I knew she didn't want me going back to work. We talked about it. I just felt as if it were the best decision for me.

With the weekend that I had at her parent's house and knowing that my father would be in the city at any minute today called for a well-needed distraction. Work is the perfect distraction.

"I'm positive, Liv. It's going to help me more than harm me. I need to get my mind off of my dad and onto something else...plus, you deserve a break from dealing with me too. You've been so incredible, but it is not fair for you to have to deal with all of my shit."

"I don't mind," Olivia interjected, furrowing her brows as if that statement had thrown her off. "You'll never be a burden to me, Jason, so don't use that as an excuse."

"Sweetheart I-"

"No, Jase." She cut me off as she let one of her hands rest against the surface of my cheek. "I don't want you going into that job if you're not in your right mind. I'm only saying this because I love you, and I don't want anything to happen to you...I just don't think you're in the right headspace to be there. You haven't been the same since you got that message." She vented.

I leaned back against the backrest of the stool, sucking in a deep breath as she continued.

"You're restless and anxious. How are you supposed to do your job when you haven't even been able to function fully?" She asked, shaking her head. "It's too dangerous, baby, especially in the city where there's always something crazy going on."