Chapter Five

"Murphy!"

Avery called after the boy, jogging to catch up with his retreating figure. He stopped in his tracks, staring back at her and waiting for her to get to him before continuing.

"What's up?"

"Just wanted to chat. I've barely spoken to you since we got here."

It was true. After many chats in the Sky Box, Avery would've thought they'd be closer now they were on the ground together. But instead, she found that Murphy happened to be on the other side of a number of arguments that had already happened.

"Then let's chat." He teased her wording choice, and she rolled her eyes.

She found herself a little lost for words then; realising she didn't know what to talk about. She ran through a few things in her mind as they came to a stop outside the Dropship.

"You know anyone else here? The only people I'm really familiar with are Clarke and Wells, and even then I've only spoken to Clarke."

Murphy shrugged, looking over the people milling about thoughtfully. "I knew a few of the guys from before the Sky Box. Everyone knows Finn - obviously - and then the Earth's royalty of course, just like you."

She scoffed at how dramatic he was over Clarke and Wells. It seemed like he hated them more than Bellamy did, which was odd considering he was following Bellamy's lead rather than the other way around.

"I don't like them either, Murphy." She paused. "But you've got to admit, you can't seriously believe taking the wristbands off is a good idea."

Murphy looked at her as though she had just committed mass genocide. Actually, Murphy probably would've looked less disgusted if that was true. He was looking at her as though she had just declared her love for Clarke.

"Are you serious?"

He watched her for a few moments, expecting her to burst out into laughter and tell him that she was joking. When she only blankly stared at him, he exhaled a breathy laugh.

"Avery, it makes the people on the Ark suffer. They locked us up like criminals; they deserve to suffer for a while."

She shook her head refusingly, but Murphy wasn't done yet. He still had more reasons for hating the Ark, more reasons that she could relate to.

"It's the Ark's fault our dads are dead, why should they get to live down here as if they didn't do that?"

That was the whole reason they were friends in the first place.

It took Murphy a few attempts to get a reply out of the girl back in the Sky Box. At first, she was so devastated about being stuck in there that she was angry at everyone and everything; even the boy she had never spoken a word to in the cell next door.

When he dismissively brought up his father one time, she found herself intrigued enough to reply. His father was floated for stealing medicine for him. She was put in the Sky Box for stealing medicine for her father.

Similar stories, minor differences.

And that's how they became friends. Bonding over the shared trauma that the Ark had brought to them.

The one big difference was: Avery was learning to get past it. Murphy was still angry.

She left Murphy's question unanswered.

Leaving the boy alone, she wandered into the Dropship instead. Clarke was climbing down the ladder from the second level, followed by Wells, who she was seemingly trying to prevent from going with them to save Jasper.