Chapter Twelve

Avery left the Dropship, having snatched Monty's blanket from beside his feet so he had a reason to see her later. She traipsed across the camp, sleep threatening her drooping eyelids.

And then something above her head made her very, very awake.

A bright light resembling a shooting star was soaring across the sky, flickering as it shot past clouds. Then it seemed to come closer into view. It looked to be a small Pod, emblazed in flames and heading straight for Earth.

Avery wrapped herself tighter in her blanket as she watched a parachute eject from the Pod and the spacecraft slowly drift downwards to the ground. It had to be from the Ark; it couldn't possibly be from anywhere else.

"They've come down to help us!"

"Please tell me they've brought down shampoo."

Avery chuckled softly at the comment, strolling over towards Octavia, Bellamy and the group of people gathered by the fire. The thing she noticed first was the look of fear lighting Bellamy's face in the dark.

Why doesn't he want The Ark to come down?

Before Avery could even consider asking him, he had disappeared off with a few boys into a nearby tent, and the girl was left in front of his sister. Octavia was staring after him with a frown; more thoughts than Avery could understand were on her mind.

"What do you reckon?"

Octavia eyed her up, the look of suspicion still not washed from her features and her expression saying it all. The girls were instantly on the same wavelength; not needing to say a single word of clarification to one another in order to understand what they both suspected and needed to figure out.

"Alright, we should all get ready to move out!" Octavia yelled out, her voice loud enough to wake even the deepest of sleepers.

"O's right, we gotta find this thing before the Grounders do!"

The chatter had begun to bubble up in the camp. The excitement and prospect of help coming from the Ark was too glorious of an opportunity but Avery - ever the optimist (not) - was too anxious to let it go to her head.

The Pod that fell from the sky was small. It couldn't possibly house more than two people inside and a limited amount of supplies with it.

Avery was just hoping they brought down some food, water, and much needed medical supplies for future injuries. She presumed the adults of the Ark would be smart enough to send those things down to help them.

But it's not like they sent those things with the Dropship.

Cause they thought we would die on the way down, or upon arrival.

A warm hand grabbed hers then, and Avery let Octavia drag her into the red tent Bellamy had earlier entered, Monty's blanket forgotten on a log near the fire. The younger girl expectantly watched her brother as Avery stumbled into the tent behind her, narrowly avoiding bumping into her back.

"We should get going, everyone's ready."

Avery nodded to back up the girl, pointedly avoiding the stares of the other boys with Bellamy. Whatever reassurance Bellamy had given Avery before when Murphy was banished had gone.

"No one's going anywhere, not whilst it's dark. It's not safe. We'll head out at first light." Bellamy gestured to the boys with him. "Pass the word."

Avery scoffed as the first boy pushed past her shoulder, forcing her to step back to avoid her left shoulder getting bruised from the purposeful pushes by the entitled boys. Bellamy attempted to leave after them, but Octavia blocked his way, staring up at him intimidatingly.