Chapter Twenty

Avery watched in horror as a dead body was carried from the Dropship. It wasn't someone she recognised, but it also wasn't the person she saw drop dead in front of her.

More people were dying from the virus.

The body was laid out on the ground, beside the other, left there to be taken care of when the worst of the virus had passed. Avery hoped that this would be the peak of it.

She caught eyes with Bellamy, the boy reflecting the same fear she was feeling deep in her bones. It took him a second to snap out of it, barking orders to the rest of the Delinquents emotionlessly.

"Alright, show's over. Get back to your posts."

Harper had taken her turn to go on post - something Avery had adamantly refused to do, due to her dislike of guns - and so Avery hung around the area in front of the Dropship, eyeing up Clarke and Bellamy as they talked.

As Bellamy called out into the Dropship for his sister, it dawned on her. The look on Clarke's face said it all. Sidling over to Finn, who was also watching the two of them now arguing, she only had to ask a simple question for confirmation.

"She's gone to see Lincoln, hasn't she?"

The slightest nod from Finn gave her the answer. She watched as Bellamy stormed away from Clarke, the girl yelling his name after him to no response. Avery called out to him too, and it was then he stopped, but only because a group of boys blocked the exit he was trying to use.

"Get out of my way." He said bitterly.

"Bellamy, relax, Octavia's been to see Lincoln a hundred times-"

Avery cut herself off when she caught sight of the boy in front of Bellamy. She bumped into the Blake boy's back out of pure shock, the boy not scolding her but instead putting out his arm to keep her away.

"Dude, your eyes!"

That was what had caught Avery off guard. When the boy in front of Bellamy had turned around, his face was plagued with tears of blood. His eyes were filled with the dark red liquid, spilling down his cheeks like real tears.

"Nobody touch him!" Another boy yelled erratically, brandishing his gun in the sick boy's direction as though he was about to pounce on him.

"Get to the Dropship. Now!" Bellamy ordered, shunning Avery backwards and nearly causing her to stumble over.

In the moments afterwards, the whole camp collapsed into chaos.

Fox was the next to be affected. Her legs gave way, her face pale, and she collapsed into the arms of some nearby Delinquents. As a few others approached her to see if she was alright, she vomited blood up into their faces.

Gasps erupted through the crowds, and Fox was dropped to the ground as those unfortunate to get the blood splattered on them began to freak out. Others waved their guns defensively and offensively, like a threat to keep the infected away, only escalating the situation further.

"Oh my god! It's on me!"

"Calm down!"

"Just stop moving!" Avery yelled out helplessly, exchanging a glance with Bellamy as the pair of them tried to control the crazed Delinquents.

"Put that gun down!" Finn ordered, to no prevail.

The three of them felt like they were the only ones trying to manage the chaos, finding it impossible in the midst of the shouts, and the fights, and the fear. Three shots rang clear through the air, startling and silencing everyone.