Chapter Nine

Wells was found dead the next morning. Avery wasn't particularly a fan of him, but it didn't mean she wanted him dead. She knew he was one of the better people; even if they didn't get along. And to be honest, Avery didn't get along with many good people.

She would've offered to help dig his grave, but then thought twice about it. She wasn't Wells' friend. She did however offer her condolences to Clarke, and decided to stay out of the girl's way for the next few days to let her grieve in peace.

The first day after Wells' death, Bellamy decided they needed better places to sleep. The Delinquents all worked together in setting up tents, and Avery did her part in helping, despite knowing she didn't have a tent to share with anyone.

At least, that's what she thought.

Monty and Jasper were two of the first to claim their own - seeing as Monty was easily one of the most important people in the camp and Jasper was recovering from his injury - Bellamy was given the biggest tent despite not sharing it with anyone, and soon enough Avery could see that all of the tents were being taken by people.

She wasn't too upset with having to stay in the Dropship, it would be quiet after all, but for a short amount of time she had the hopeful vision of staying in a tent with far more privacy than the Dropship gave. But she might as well claim a spot in the Dropship whilst she could.

"Avery!"

She faltered in her tracks upon hearing the unknown voice. It wasn't anyone she had spoken to before, she was sure of it, but the voice sounded friendly and cheerful not rude.

Spinning around, she saw an ever so familiar blonde girl waving at her. Avery felt a little bad that she couldn't remember her name.

The girl bounded up to her, a grin adorning her face. Avery was careful to not approach the situation with suspicion, despite being very surprised that someone other than Monty, Jasper, Octavia or Murphy wanted to talk to her.

"What's up?" She asked the girl, still desperately trying to match a name to the face.

"I was wondering if you wanted to share a tent with me? Miller and Monroe are sharing one and I only get one if I have someone to share with. Not that you're a last resort! God I sound like an idiot-"

Harper. That's her name.

"-Hey," She cut off the girl's rambling, chuckling softly. "I'd love to share a tent with you Harper."

Harper's face flooded with relief, and Avery listened as she began rambling on about the tent she picked, and how Bellamy was nice enough to let her find a roommate instead of giving it to someone else, and how excited she was to get to know her.

Avery couldn't deny it, her heart had picked up in delight because Harper wanted to be her friend. She still wasn't used to it, not even after befriending Jasper, Monty and Octavia.

And so she moved her things into Harper's tent.

Sharing a tent with someone pretty much requires friendship, so it didn't take long for Avery and Harper to become good friends. Along with Harper came Miller and Monroe - they were sort of a package deal - and Avery just felt lucky to have more people around camp that she could call her friends.

A week on from moving in to Harper's tent, Avery made her way to the Dropship like any other morning to try and help Monty with the wristbands. She wasn't always the most helpful - she usually chatted away to Monty about something stupid and distract him from his work - but he never seemed to mind.

However, this time, upon entering Avery found something far different.

Avery nearly bumped into Finn, due to a ball of excitable energy that fostered inside of her upon hearing Monty's laugh from outside. She saw Monty, hunched besides Clarke, holding a wristband that was suspiciously still lit up despite being disconnected from someone's wrist.