Chapter Fifteen

The pattering of rain on Avery's tent roof didn't make it easy for her to sleep. She turned over in bed once again, curling her legs up to her chest and hugging her blanket tighter to herself.

When she believed she was finally in a position to fall asleep, the tent entrance began rustling and Harper appeared, wide eyed and bemused. She tilted her head upon seeing Avery, suppressing a laugh.

"Are you crazy? Why aren't you in the Dropship?"

Avery sat up, letting her blanket fall from her body and her arms gain goose bumps. She was confused. And now that she thought of it, she did find it strange Harper had been missing from their tent until now.

"I didn't want to get in the way of Clarke trying to help Finn." She shrugged, yawning. "Besides, I'm tired."

Harper only stared at her in disbelief, clearly not caring for her excuse; despite the fact it was true. Harper had gone to the tent because something big had happened, and although Avery didn't like a fair few of the people involved, she knew the girl wouldn't want to miss it.

"There's a storm going on. How are you even trying to sleep right now?"

Avery just shrugged. Harper let out a sigh, rolling her eyes and leaning forward so she could grab her arm and yank her from the bed. Avery grumbled as the blonde girl dragged her out of the tent and into the pouring rain.

The sound of the rain on the roof didn't do justice to how much it was really raining.

Within seconds, Avery found herself drenched in rain water. Harper was just laughing, letting go of the girl to stretch out her arms and take it all in.

Because although the situation on Earth was a nightmare, the planet really was a dream.

Avery was beginning to shiver, but she realised she hadn't really appreciated the rain since she arrived. She copied Harper's actions; spreading out her arms and tilting her head up to the sky to let the rain pour down on her face.

A hand found her shoulder then, firmer than Harper's but still warm. Avery looked to find Monroe staring between both herself and Harper in wild amusement. She shook her head, stopping the smile on her lips.

"You two are crazy. You're gonna get sick, come on."

They all broke out into a run for the Dropship, laughing manically at the way they were soaked to the bone with no way to dry off in the current circumstances. They slipped inside the Dropship, hoping to go unnoticed and naively thinking the atmosphere inside would be similar to theirs outside.

It definitely wasn't.

Clarke was in the midst of the crowded room, rinsing her hands with Monty's moonshine as she prepped to start on removing the knife from Finn's body. Raven was beside her, talking to the blonde with a hidden sense of fear that Avery could only detect as she knew how much Finn meant to the girl.

Everyone else in the room was chatting amongst themselves, but they all had half their attention on the scene unfolding in front of them; in which Clarke was approaching Finn's wound with caution. If Avery had entered the Dropship only moments earlier, she would've witnessed Bellamy, Miller and a few others arriving with the Grounder who stabbed Finn.

The Grounder who also happened to be the man she bumped into in the forest.

"Clarke?"

The crackle of a voice through a radio made Avery's heart clench. She wasn't prepared to hear the voice of the woman who didn't let her see her father before he died. But two hands found her shoulders again and she was being urged up to the second floor of the Dropship before she could say anything.