Chapter 19

Magic, herbs, tools, cauldron.. everything is assembled - now for the souls..
Using a bit of his blacksmithing abilities, Emeraldus is able to make a silvery pearl the size of a walnut. Dipping it in a brief, bewitching concoction, it is set for its job.
Slim is ordered to begin the brew while his master goes out for souls. Few words are passed between the two on this fateful day as the focus is now entirely on such results to come out of this spell.
Emeraldus spends all the daylight hours hunting. One by one, wild souls are collected in the silvery pearl. By sundown, the magical orb is aglow with life.
"Let us see how many we've got," Emeraldus growls enthusiastically before dropping the pearl into the bubbling brew that hisses and spits within the cauldron. Taking a scooping tool, he stirs it with leisure, eyes focused without a second thought.
As he watches, Slim brings up the question, "And if it isn't enough..?"
To which Emeraldus replies with certainty. "Then we take this pearl out to get more."
One after the other, souls like hazy mist rise from the bubbling brew - deer, rabbits, birds, foxes, (whatever Emeraldus could find that day) all swirling together in one white cloud. Some carry looks of terror and others of fury, as if each soul is aware of their fate - as if they know that they have been chosen to spend eternity as ingredients to a spell.
Just simply staring at them makes Slim tremble. Even Emeraldus can feel the prickling darkness that swims with each, seeping through his scales and into his flesh. A great chill ripples his nerves - this is truly dark magic, the type that his species are told to avoid. The sensation unconsciously brings a slight shudder to Emeraldus' voice as his eyes switch between the brew and spell book.
"It is not enough," He frowns. "It is supposed to turn green." Eyeing the cauldron, its bubbling brew remains a muddy brown. How many more souls then? How many were collected?
Upon fishing out the pearl again, Slim brings it up with concern. "Then how much more ya gotta kill, Boss?"
Putting the pearl on the ground to let it cool off, Emeraldus shakes his head.
"It is not a big deal. Prey is plenty around here. It should not.." Then suddenly, he stops. Eyes turning to diamonds, Emeraldus turns his head to look over his shoulder. Noticing his master's pause almost immediately, Slim too turns to look. There is nothing within eyeshot, but dragon senses stir up a sense of unease as they detect aura - someone is outside.
Emeraldus gets to his feet and turns to tiptoe his way to the entrance. Slim doesn't follow, but curiously, he watches as the Sorcerant leaves the chamber.
With caution and on high alert, Emeraldus comes to see what's outside. With every step, the aura gets stronger. Luckily there is nothing to see just beyond the entrance, but in the distance, the glimmer of a campfire peers out between trees. They must've just arrived, as smoke is only beginning to rise in the evening chill - humans?
They must be late night hunters stopping to warm up, but why does their aura give Emeraldus a sense of discomfort? Perhaps he could simply be a little paranoid from the excitement of the day? Just some random group of late night hunters shouldn't be much of a problem. Also as a Sorcerant, Emeraldus has no business to be out at night anyway. He turns to go back inside - the humans will be gone by daybreak if that be the case.
Waiting patiently and hopefully, Slim watches as his master returns.
"Who was out there, Boss? The neighbors?"
Emeraldus shakes his head. "Some human hunters have decided to camp in the area. They'll be gone by tomorrow - hopefully."
Slim lifts his brows at that mention. "Oh. .. And they're not dangerous..?"
"They shouldn't be, as long as we remain in here," Emeraldus replies, taking a seat next to the cauldron. He returns to his thinking.. The brew itself should still be reliable for a couple more days, as long as nothing happens to it. Though it may stop boiling, reheating it won't hurt a thing.
One question still remains, however… How many souls did Emeraldus get and how many more will he need? The book doesn't say how to tell - just simply the ingredients and amounts, much to Emeraldus' dismay. Well, if the book says that there isn't an exact amount of souls that needs to be met, going a little bit over the intended number shouldn't be too much of an issue. In that case, Emeraldus could just simply go out for another hunt..
"Hm.?"
The sudden nudge of his heel causes him to turn his head. Now settled right next to him is the bright, sparkling blue of one of his eggs, soon followed by Slim who had seemingly tailed after it.
"Sorry Boss, this little one is a jumper - does not want to be still." Picking up the egg again, he grins apologetically. "I'll uh, put it back for you."
Emeraldus chuckles good-heartedly to himself. "Eager to hatch, are we?"
For a father, it is quite reassuring to see his child so lively. Though just a couple more months to go before the first few signs of hatching shall arrive.
Before he leaves the chamber, Slim pauses a moment to speak. "Hey uh, Boss?"
To which Emeraldus replies with, "What is it?"
"You uh, remember that guy I told yous about? Y'know, the shifter dragon.?"
Emeraldus is able to quickly recall the memory and give a single nod of the head - what about him?
Slim continues. "Perhaps yous could uh.. ask him for a tip..? I don't know.." He sweeps his gaze awkwardly across the floor. "You wanted to include him, yes?"
Yes, Emeraldus did consider letting this shifter dragon in on things. As Slim had put it, he knows a thing or two about dark magic and souls. Though the main question is, where does he live anyway? Emeraldus had travelled quite the distance to get to this new home by the beaches. Would he have to backtrack?
Upon being asked, Slim unfortunately doesn't have an answer. All he does know is that the guy has a territory of his own and nests in an old, isolated human shelter that's close by the old place, but no exact details. Although frustrating to know that he would have to go back, saying an "old, isolated human shelter" is specific enough.
Emeraldus will go out to search tomorrow, but if he comes back with nothing at the end of the day, he'll just have to forget about it.