Chapter 20

Emeraldus hurries as much as he can to get back to the new territory, necklace clutched tightly in his hand. Though the route is simple, it still takes a while to traverse. Once he arrives back home at the cave, however, instantly something hits him as odd. Nothing seems to have changed, no new smells, no markings, no residue..
He wanders inside, looking for Slim to give the necklace to for safekeeping, but then that's when it hits him… Where is Slim..?
Usually the Alchemy would come scurrying over to his master to greet him and take any new orders, but this time.. the cave remains quiet. Although it isn't unusual for Slim to go out occasionally, there's an eerie sense to his absence this time…
"Slim?" Emeraldus calls, heading to check on his eggs in the magma nursery.
On his way there, the Alchemy still remains unseen, though the eggs are safely set where they should be. Did he just leave?
After calling for Slim again, Emeraldus bounces his brows with a slight sense of bewilderment. "That's weird.." He mutters to himself.
Well as long as the eggs are safe and sound..
"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!" The echoing wail of little ol' you-know-who comes scurrying down the caverns just returning from outside. Upon seeing Emeraldus, Slim brings his panicked wheezing over to the Sorcerant straight away.
"Boss..!!" He gasps. "Boss.!!" Tossing himself behind Emeraldus as if to hide, Slim hunkers down, forelimbs over his head and shaking like a leaf.
Somewhat in shock from being taken by surprise, Emeraldus stutters a tad as he regains his tongue. "Wha - what's the matter with you?"
"Hunters!!" Slim blurts out turning wide eyes to his master. "Hunters!"
Emeraldus' brows furrow. "What about the hunters?"
"There!" Slim points back in the direction he came running. "Over there, I tell ya! Three of them!!"
Then it suddenly clicks. Turning to look where Slim is pointing, Emeraldus feels a sudden sense of anxiety clutch his heartbeat. "Wait a minute.." Looking back at the Alchemy, he scowls. "Were you being chased?"
To which Slim gulps for breath in response. Now acknowledging the question, he comes to realization.
"... Was I..?"
Then a human voice follows, it too echoing down the chambers, but not so much in a hurry. It sounds like they got here.
"Well I'll be..! It's a nest!" It cries.
Instantly, Emeraldus' heart nearly stops - oh no…
Well there's no time for questions. Emeraldus snaps at Slim with a firm and serious voice, "You, stay by the eggs! Do NOT go anywhere!" Before turning to head out and confront these hunters.
Acting fast, Emeraldus feels the fire rising in his throat and his eyes becoming slits. A hostile grumble rattles from his curled lip with every step towards this threat.
His sounds alert the group of hunters just about to enter the cave for themselves. Allister is the first to react, casting a hand out to halt his two following comrades. He hisses for them to be silent just moments before it turns into a hurried yelp, "Hide..!"
All three retreat to duck behind spikes of rock surrounding the outer ledges of the cave entryway, momentarily sneaking a brief peek at the approaching dragon.
Just as bitter and powerful as before, Emeraldus emerges, slitted eyes scanning the outside of his abode.
The sights of the green Sorcerant further instills excitement in Allister.
".. It's him.."
They finally found the dragon again, and after several months of travel.
Letting a mighty roar bellow from his jaws, Emeraldus announces a furious warning - stay away or else! Wherever these hunters are, they had better be listening.
The volume makes all three men flinch, but fear is now the least of their problems - they're finally in the presence of their long-awaited target. Despite the current fortune, attacking now would be more than a little risky. They must retreat further to discuss a plan. Their own presence is masked with special gear and Emeraldus does not pay them notice. Though the dragon remains on high alert for a moment longer, he eventually turns to disappear inside the cave. As far as he's aware, the hunters had disappeared - good, hopefully scared off.
Honz and Sash both give their leader an expectant glance, themselves also feeling a bit excited at this find.
With a sweep of his hand, Allister silently orders for them to retreat. Without any hesitation, the two men comply. Behind them, Allister follows.
Once out of sight of the gaping cavern maw, Allister hisses with a tone of delight, "It is a success. We found him, my good men." The unmistakable crack of a grin further showing his glee. "That swell trophy is destined to be mine."
Honz and Sash return his smile and nod, but before they can say anything, Allister continues.
"Now, we gather allies," The hunter says, taking out a couple pouches of gold from his bag. "Carry these into the surrounding villages, hire all the finest hunters you can find," And tosses them to his two men. "And be fast, for I desire to see that dragon in a cage by midnight."