Chapter 10

The weary stretch of unconsciousness is finally lifted after a couple days pass - Cigoura awakes. Opening his eyes, what he sees is still rather blurry from the effects of the dart, but only wearily can he identify what's going on.
"Ah, he's awake!" A familiar voice speaks, soon followed by the pitter patter of approaching feet. Three hazy gray frames come over to where Cigoura lies on a bed of grasses and furs. 
"Sir, are you alright? Thank the gods you're still alive!" The voice speaks again. "For a moment we thought you'd never wake."
Cigoura grimaces and rocks his stiff neck muscles side to side. "What.. happened..?" He croaks.
Another warm voice answers him, "Humans - apparently your ring had been targeted by a human hunting party," Turning his head, he blinks a bit more of the sleep out his eyes. A second later, he can now faintly make out the details in his current company. A female Alchemy smelling like herbs smiles at him politely, "You got lucky, I'd say." She says. "Both you and your remaining troops are what survived of that attack. Hate to admit, but you lost a few."
Now hearing this, his mind returns much more easy. "Huh? We lost a..??" Looking around somewhat frantically, Cigoura comes to realize the unfortunate reality - a good chunk of his ring had been taken by the humans, leaving only him and two others left. His wide, shocked eyes are returned by the frowns of his couple remaining comrades. 
"We're sorry Sir," One says lowering his head. "The humans were on us too fast that we had to flee.."
Cigoura's shock is further dragged on by a studdered, "No, no, no, no, no, no!" He gets to his feet, so fast he nearly trips over his own limbs, and shoves his face at the female Alchemy. "It's not true! Tell me it's not true! We did not just lose my troops! It's not true!"
The female's smile disappears, replaced with a sullen grimace. "As much as it pains me to tell you, Sir.." She says looking down.
Cigoura turns away, expression still agape. "No…" He speaks with a quiet murmur. "No, the alpha will kill me for this..!" His tone lifts with slight panic. "She'll kick me out of my position for failing to protect our clan! No, even worse.. she'll tear my scales off for failing to protect them from the humans of all things!"
The three other Alchemies in the room exchange concerned glances as Cigoura continues to ramble, pacing in a wide line back and forth.
"This cannot be…" Cigoura now finds himself repeating. "This cannot be…"
Even though he managed to find Slim and carry out the most important of the plan, this sudden turn of events couldn't have come at a worse time. He'll lose his job anyway with this now on his shoulders. What's even worse is that he lost over half of his ring. First Slim is gone, and now this - all because of Cigoura. He absolutely dreads the thought of seeing his alpha now. Part of him wishes that he had been taken away as well, then he wouldn't be left stuck in this mess - he might as well be prepared for his death at this point. The alpha would never forgive him for such a mistake, and especially if this misfortune completely ruined their plans of making the alpha believe Slim is dead! …. Or wait…
Cigoura suddenly pauses his pacing to stare off a moment.
….Or was it mighty convenient..?
"I am very sorry Sir that this had to happen to you," The female Alchemy's voice continues. "I can tell the alpha for you if it makes you feel any better?"
"No," Cigoura mutters again in response, now turning his head a bit to look at the three Alchemies. He is silent for a moment longer, just staring at them. 
In reaction, his two remaining troops pull their heads back in further concern, and the female keeps her frown. 
Cigoura's next few words then bring up sudden bewilderment to the worrisome atmosphere, "No, I think this is perfect..!"
Exchanging glances, the three Alchemies all reply with a surprised, "huh?" Completely taken off guard by Cigoura's sudden positivity. 
"I am begging your pardon, Sir?" One troop asks.
Cigoura's gaping frown slowly lifts into a grin of relief. His eyes dart around in what could be excitement as a slight chuckle escapes his throat. "This is perfect..!" He repeats, now with more optimism before looking up abruptly at the female Alchemy. "Slim.." Cigoura begins. "Slim was with us..! He didn't make it either! He's gone!"
The female blinks with further shock. "Slim is gone too, Sir?"
"Yes!" Cigoura blurts out. "He was wounded greatly! He could not fight back! I could maybe even say he's dead!" Proceeded by another gleeful chuckle. "He's dead!" 
Looking at the elder like he had grown a second head, the female Alchemy is speechless. She is completely clueless as to how to respond to this - not just because she heard about Slim being included, but because Cigoura seems to be overjoyed? She next turns her gaze slowly to the other two troops, who are probably just as shocked. One of them finds their tongue to explain after a moment's pause.
"The alpha had requested us to go get Slim after him apparently leaving the clan." He says, before continuing with a bit more hesitation. "We um.. didn't exactly… want..."
"... Tell the alpha!!" Cigoura interrupts with a voice so loud it echoes. "Tell her right away! We tried, but Slim is dead!" He then bursts into more laughter. "Tell everyone Slim is dead! He's not coming back! He's not coming back!!" At this point, one may think Cigoura had completely lost his mind given his sudden joy at what apparently used to be very bad news; however, his relief is soon joined by his two troops. "Oh absolutely Sir! We shall!" One says as the other nods before both go stumbling excitedly out of the current chamber to go break the news. 
The female Alchemy remains shocked, though it is uncertain if she's happy to hear this or not. Her only words now are a studdered, "I.. I uh… I…"
Cigoura's laughter soon finally mellows out into a happy grin as he turns to come near the female Alchemy.
"Oh no worries, madam," He begins with a pleased tone. "You'll soon see the celebration in this."
Almost immediately, the female replies with, "Oh no, it's not that, it's just uh.." Still with her wide-eyes. "Why didn't anybody tell me Slim had left in the first place? Why did he?"
Cigoura's chuckle returns. "Surprise!"