Chapter 24

Although with a bit of hesitation, Carmilla accepts Emeraldus' request. She looks down at his face with an expression of sorrow, yet confidence. A moment of silence passes before any of them say another word.
"Do you want to do it now?" Carmilla asks, turning into her vampiric form. "I can cut your painful passing short, and let your soul revive today." Then putting a hand to the hilt of a sword on her belt.
Emeraldus says nothing, though the thought of dying now oddly puts him at peace. A quick death sounds reasonable, and better to try this spell sooner than later while it's at its freshest. He finally nods.
"I'll take it.."
Hearing this, Slim's lip then begins to wobble. He can't help but blurt out, "But what if nothing happens, Boss? What if the spell does not work? I.. I  don't know what an Alchemy like me would do without the likes of you!" Then his own tears begin to fall. "Boss.. you saved my life. I.. I do not like to think about your death."
Emeraldus returns the Alchemy's sad expression. He nods in understanding. "And I do not regret making that choice, Slim. You have certainly become an honorable Alchemy in my eyes."
Staring at each other in heartfelt silence a moment longer, both dragons smile.
Emeraldus then continues, "But it's either this.. or letting my wounds eventually take me. Let us try this spell now - it's what we've got."
Shortly after, he feels arms wrap around his forelimbs. Looking down, he sees Slim giving him his biggest hug. Without a second thought, Emeraldus wraps his tail around the Alchemy to embrace him back.
"And Boss, if you see the Mrs.. tell her Slim said hello."

Just moments away now and it shall all be over, Emeraldus eventually turns his head to Carmilla and Slim who now glance back with unsettled eyes. They know it too.
"Carmilla," Emeraldus begins to the Dracul. "You know what you must do."
Putting a hand on the hilt of her sword, Carmilla looks away. She sighs before a moment of silence.
"..As much as it pains me to trust you know what you're doing, I know I cannot argue."
Emeraldus approaches her with eyes aglow with courage. "I am not afraid of what happens to me - whether I live or if I pass on. If it fails, you know who I will be with."
Carmilla nods, now sliding the sword free from its sheath. Emeraldus pulls back to take a seat, rearing up his torso to expose soft underbelly. 
Slim flinches at the sight of the shiny blade and backs up a pace or two. "Oh man… I can't watch..!" Then turns tail to scurry out of the room.
With a hint of blood magic, Carmilla lets a crimson drop from her finger slide along the blade. Within seconds, the magic works, giving the sword a bright, scarlet aura. Closing his eyes, Emeraldus prepares himself. Another moment passes before he feels sharp, jabbing pain puncture his flesh, tearing through tissue and bone with ease. Within seconds, he goes into shock, heart fighting for more beats against the steel wedged in his chest. Vision blurring and ears ringing, Carmilla squeezes her own eyes shut before sliding the blade back out of Emeraldus, bright red, dragon blood spraying her face. 
The Sorcerant can only let himself fall to the ground as the last couple of heartbeats fade out to the darkness of closed eyes.

Body so cold, body so light, soon the pain is gone. Emeraldus opens his eyes to see the shell of his former body lying there on the ground as the final few drops of blood bleed onto the floor. Second by second, it gets farther away as his soul departs. Is this what death had been like for Midna, seeing yourself for one last time as you are taken into the afterlife? 
A moment later and it is just Emeraldus now, his soul floating in cold nothingness… waiting… 
Waiting…
His soul is only a wisp of his former self, with his eyes glowing as brightly as the stars. Looking around, he remains alone. He has nowhere to go, completely at the mercy of where his soul decides to end up. 
For a moment, Emeraldus begins to feel regret. Was this worth it? Did it work? He cannot see his body anymore to tell.
Will he even end up where dragons are supposed to go when they perish? He had been a Sorcerant of Dark magic… did such things pollute his soul? Will he be floating in nothingness forever?
"Midna?" Emeraldus' voice echoes.. to no reply.
"Midna!" He calls again, louder, but only to be returned by a longer echo. Can his mate even hear him?
"I've been waiting for you, Emeraldus," A warm, feminine voice finally responds. Turning his head, Emeraldus can see a faint glow overhead. Its presence is warming to his wandering soul. 
Emeraldus' eyes widen. "Are.. are you here to welcome me into the afterlife..?" He speaks, barely a whisper. This voice is not Midna's, but in spirit, he recognizes it.
The faint glow grows brighter and brighter as its presence draws near, light steps walking across the emptiness.
"Your soul does not belong," The voice speaks again. "I do not come to escort you."
Emeraldus frowns, great despair coming to his eyes. "Have I been damned for my dark magic?"
The glow now pauses to stand a small ways away from the Sorcerant. 
"Your magic has done nothing to deserve punishment. You shall be welcomed into the afterlife, but not with everyone else."
This still doesn't brighten Emeraldus' spirits. "What do you mean?"
"I will explain, but first, there is someone who wishes to see you." Luminous strands dance in the distance carrying a multitude of different wisps, one in particular leaves the current and flies towards Emeraldus.
The glow departs to let it be just him and the wisp. As it draws closer, Emeraldus' mouth drops in awe: shimmering blue scales, eyes bright with love, and a smile that he shall never forget.
"Midna…"
His mate floats over to him, warming his soul with hers. "My dear Emeraldus.. Oh how I missed you.."
In reaction, Emeraldus' first instinct is to reach out and to hold her tightly. For several moments, the two dragons just float there, now reunited in spirit. There are no words, only great love and emotion to finally see each other again. It seems like it had been forever since. 
"Midna.." Emeraldus finally speaks, tears in his eyes. "I am so sorry. I am so sorry I failed you.."
His mate puts a finger to his lips to stop his words. "Shhh, it's okay, my love. It wasn't your fault. Those who are guilty have already paid."
Lowering his head, Emeraldus releases a tearful sigh. "I tried to bring you back, but it did not work. You told me not to punish the Alchemies. Why not, my dear Midna?"
Midna's eyes droop with her own sadness. "I could not bear to see you completely lose yourself to the darkness. It would have swallowed what's left of your heart. There would've been nothing but hatred and loss if you had killed once more. You would not be you anymore, my Love."
"I miss you, my dear Midna. I wish you could come with me." Emeraldus says, changing the subject. 
Midna's smile then suddenly returns. "And what if I could?"
Eyes widening, a slight seed of hope returns to Emeraldus' soul. Could she? Could he really bring her with?
Looking over Midna's shoulder, the glow returns. 
With its warm voice, it says to the two dragons, "I shall gift your three children with destinies that will be remembered by many. They shall have their own stories to give to dragon society. You shall return to your body, Emeraldus, and watch over your young, for it is your mate's wish. You shall rule a whole 'nother generation and be remembered for it. The souls will soon be in place, so there's not much else I can explain before you reawaken. I will leave you now. Your mate has more to say. Until next time, Emeraldus. Take care." Then it disappears again for the final time.
Looking at Midna again, Emeraldus is filled with awe for what he had just heard about regarding his future. Eager to hear what more Midna has to say, Emeraldus pays her his full attention.
His mate kisses him on the nose as something descends from above. The new, little gem necklace glimmers, now coming to give Emeraldus what he needs to complete the spell. Gently, it rests itself around his neck.
Smiling, Midna lifts the hanging crystal in the palm of her hand.
"I may have missed the opportunity to return to my body, but I may still return to yours."
Emeraldus looks up at his mate, mouth agape with that much more amazement. "Are you asking to..?"
Midna nods. "May I be one of the souls to reawaken you?"
Now overflowing with emotion, Emeraldus holds his mate in another tight embrace. Tears fall from his eyes with a feeling he cannot describe. Is it sadness? Happiness? Both? Or something entirely different? He may not be able to have his mate back in the flesh, but he can have her with him in soul - in his new, reanimated body, giving him the life to fulfill this future he had been given. And this time, there shall be nothing to separate them until the end of time itself.
Together forever… 
Words so sweet… 
How could he ever say no?
Then like raindrops, one by one, 99 souls drop from above, ready to complete the spell. Emeraldus glances at Midna one last time before they are all sucked into the crystal, each soul returning a bit of life to Emeraldus' body. Now there's only one left to make it 100. One last kiss, and Midna's soul too disappears into the crystal.
"I know I will be a soul with a special place, my Love," Her voice slowly fades out. "Now I can be a part of you… forever…"