Chapter 4: The Royal Guard

The survivors had managed to reach the northern sides of Mugmyre Marsh. Everyone slowed down and took a rest in a small grotto.
"Well, we made it." Said the exhausted Ruby, panting. "Now what?"
"I think we should wait for that Anders guy. He'll show us what we need to do." Azure replied, optimistically.
"Seeing what that bird was capable of, I don't think we can put our hopes into that guy." Emerald doubted.
"Why? Didn't you see him take on those things like they were nothing?" Azure asked.
"He's got some moves, yes. But he sounds like a drunkard. I don't see it likely that he made it out-"
"Oi, you're quite right lad!" Anders Yelled from above, swooping down. "Me savin' ev'ry one ye love is a bit far-fetched."
Emerald's jaw dropped upon seeing the Phoenix, unharmed whatsoever. Ruby swooped her tail, slapping Emerald in the face with it. "Called it, Mr. doubtful." She said, teasing him.
Emerald rolled his eyes. "So what's our plan?"
"Southwest I where we need to go. The refuge is in that direction. Unfortunately, there is a large abundance of mud monsters there." Anders pointed in that direction.
"M-mud monsters?" The Young, broken-legged kitsune In Azure's grasp horrifyingly said.
"Don't worry, they don't kill people." Azure reassured. "The worst they can do is throw mud at you."
Sighs of relief were heard all around. They were almost ecstatic that there were mud monsters around and not the dark things. "What are you all standing around 'fer? Follow me if you wish to not have mud in your fur!" Anders exclaimed in his grating voice. Everyone followed him through the dark swampy path.
The moons rose high above the swamp. The Marsh was eerie enough, but the slightly reddish night sky just plus the limited visibility amplified that feeling.
"Hey, are you Mr. Emerald?" Asked the young kitsune in Azure's care. She had buttery yellow fur, and patches of white all around. "Mr. Azure told me about you. What you did was cool back there!"
"The plant thing? That... that was pretty cool, but I don't know how I did it. It just... happened. Thank you, though."
"Your welcome, Mr. nice guy! My name is Olivia." She smiled.
"She is something else, huh?" Azure asked Emerald.
"You said you'd always want a kid, Az. You should be more happy."
"Oh no, she's not my kid. I just her poor leg crushed underneath some massive rubble and had to help her."
"That really hurt. I was so scared. Not only that, those monsters took my momma and dad's... head sparkles."
Azure used his free paw to pat Olivia on the head. "I'm sorry, kid. But I'll protect you, no matter what. And then, give those bad guys what for. For messing with the wrong realm!"
Emerald chuckled to himself. She was a cute kid. He felt bad that she had to live through that.
Anders heard a gurgling noise and stopped everyone. "Why are we stopping?" Ruby asked.
"Shh.. listen, lass." Everyone stood still and looked around. Azure looked into the dark, shaded parts of the woods. Suddenly a large ball of mud splashed Azure on the face!
"AAAH IT GOT ME I'M DY- oh. Actually, that's nice and cool." Azure panicked but calmed because the mud felt refreshing after burning up from walking so much.
"Cursed cursing curse! Let us retreat! Now!" Anders Yelled, followed by him running. Everyone else followed. They kept running until they were out of the muddy crossfire.
After running, they found an archway of stone. A strange emblem was drawn on it, featuring the silhouette of a kitsune head with two swords underneath it. Next to it was an arrow pointing into the archway. Everyone ran through it.
They took a moment to take a breath. "Everyone still clean?" Anders jokingly asked.
"No?" Azure answered.
Emerald exhaled. His ear then flicked upon hearing something. "Oh no..." He looked in Azure's direction and pairs of glowing eyes on the ledge above him. Low growling could be heard. "No no no no!" A dark senri emerged and tried to lunge at Azure, But Captain Anders quickly threw his spear at the thing, smiting it, and pinning it on the wall.
"Ha! That wasn't so bad." Anders boasted. Suddenly, a large amount of red eye appeared in the darkness, surrounding the team from most angles. The smile on Anders' beak disappeared. "Okay, now its slightly more bad."
A dark kitsune charged at the Captain, but he slashed it with the spear. More dark creatures kept appearing from the shadows. "Urgh! This actually looks ugly. People, run to Kobold Camp! Arm yourselves!"
The people then ran up the hill to the Kobold camp. There were limited weapons, but enough to satisfy most of everyone. Axes, spears, swords... just what they needed.
Azure grabbed a big axe with his free paw. Emerald walked to a sword that was calling his name. He exhaled as he saw his reflection in the blade. "Okay, Emerald. You've done this daily quest three times before. A sword can't be that different." He touched it, causing his Spark to shine. The blade then levitated beside him.
Ruby saw a spear and tried to make it work. She pawed it, but nothing happened. "How do I work this thing?"
Emerald walked to her to help. "It's linked to one's Spark. You have to imagine like your 'grabbing' it."
Ruby heeded his advice, and 'picked it up' with her Spark. She was amazed, she had never wielded a weapon before.
Everyone else, except Olivia had a weapon after they got familiar, lots of dark creatures appeared around them, ready for their Sparks.
Ruby's tension built up. Emerald walked up next to her. "I'm here." He assured her. "Thank you." She responded. She then focused her attention on the monsters.
A dark werwolf growled and charged at the survivors. Emerald, being in front, slashed the beast in the face with his sword, blinding one of its eyes. The werewolf fell down, and Emerald finished it by stabbing it in the chest. Immediately after, all the dark ones roared and charged at the team.
Azure swung his axe violently, chopping through a dark dragon. Emerald slashed through two dark senris. Ruby stabbed a dark Phoenix in the skull with her spear. Everyone else used what they had. A dark werewolf charged at Azure, but he knocked it down with the side of his axe, smacking its face violently. "You know, this swamp used to be actually decent!" Before swinging the axe and crushing the beast.
A dark jackalope jumped on a senri. "HELP!" He screamed. Emerald turned around and 'threw' the sword with his Spark, slicing through the monster. The sword pulled itself back to Emerald's side.
After fighting on the top of the hill, the team descended down and rendezvoused with Anders. "Oi, now that's the spirit!" He exclaimed. "Now, come! We must hurry." He then ran as fast as his talons could carry him. Everyone else ran.
Dark monsters appeared next to the runners as they sprinted. Some survivors managed to slay a few of the things. They still ran as fast as they could through the swamp.
Suddenly, a dark dragon appeared in front of Ruby. It slashed its claw, cutting Ruby's front left leg. She screamed in pain and fell over. She managed to slay the dragon, but could barely move her front left leg. She was limping hard. "Someone, help!" Ruby said, while trying to fight through the pain. Emerald turned around after hearing her cries of help. Emerald ran back and looked at the wound. It was a well-sized cut, and blood started to drip out. Emerald got underneath her left leg, and used himself as a support. Her injured leg was supported on the back of Emerald's neck.
From a distance, the other survivors and Anders were in front of a glowing opening. "Here it is! Everyone, get in, NOW!"
Most of the survivors ran in, except Azure, who noticed that his two friends were missing. "Wait, where's Em and Rubes?"
Azure looked in the distance and saw the two trying their best to reach the entrance to the refuge. "Emerald, you gotta move faster!"
"We're trying! She's hurt!"
The two were almost there, but a massive dark Phoenix appeared behind them and circled in for the kill. Ruby noticed and screamed. Suddenly, a spear flew into its ugly face. Anders had thrown it and given the two extra time.
After a bit, Emerald and Ruby finally made it. The entered the doorway carved into the wall. Anders closed the door, which was camouflaged as the rock on the wall. They had finally made it out of harm's way.