Chapter 2-Denial Is An Ugly Thing

Plot: Jealous Jake. 

Jake was already almost through one of his cases when the elevator dinged and Amy emerged. He raised an eyebrow at her as she sat down. 

"Amy Santiago, late? That's a first." 

"I was busy last night." 

"'I was busy last night', title of your sex tape." Jake said, then yelped as Amy threw a piece of paper at him.

"Stop making innuendos on everything I say. I swear to God you're the only person I know who's so dirty-minded. Don't." She glared at Jake as the latter opened his mouth. Jake raised his hands placatingly. 

"Damn, Amy. Just pulling your leg. Speaking of which, my legs hurt. I'm just gonna head to the break room for a few minutes." 

Amy just waved a hand dismissively. "Sure, sure. Just be back." 

"Aww, you miss me already." Jake said, then ruffled her hair. She swatted his hand away, only for Jake to repeat it. 

"Jake! Stop it!" She snapped, but she smiled faintly, shaking her head as she went back to her paperwork. She caught Charles's eye, who was grinning giddily. She raised an eyebrow. A few moments later Jake reappeared, clutching two candy bars. 

"Hey." He said, and Amy caught the chocolate that was thrown at her without looking. 

"Thanks-oh my God. Jake, look at this." She passed him a file. Jake sat on his chair and scanned through the papers. 

"Ames, this is amazing! Let's go." 

Time Jump, Apartment 204

Amy POV 

When they reached the designated apartment, Amy saw that the door was unlatched and ajar. Immediately she and Jake took out their guns. Jake shouldered the door open just in time for their target burst through the door so fast they failed to catch him. 

"NYPD! Freeze!" Jake and Amy chased him through the hallway, which ended in twin fire exits. The perp turned towards the right. 

"Go after him; I'll try to intercept him from the other end." Amy said before splitting up. Several minutes later she reached the rooftop, and it only took a few seconds before Jake and the perp showed up. Amy immediately tackled the man, so hard that his head hit the concrete ground with a loud resounding thud that made Jake and her wince. Swiftly cuffing him, they led him down. 

Time Jump, Precinct

Jake POV 

"Whew! That one's particularly taxing." 

"Yeah. Damn the fire exits." Amy said with a chuckle. 

"The squad's hanging out at Shaw's later. You coming?" 

"Oh, I'm so sorry. I have a date with Teddy." Amy said apologetically. Immediately Jake's demeanour changed. 

"I see." He said coldly. Just then the man in question appeared. 

"Hey, Ames. Ready to go? Oh, hey Jake." Amy's boyfriend said. 

"Wells." Jake said through gritted teeth, his hands clenched into fists underneath the table. Amy stood up and shouldered her bag. 

"Bye, Jake. See you tomorrow." Amy smiled, patting Jake's shoulder. He just grunted. He grabbed his jacket. 

"Guys, I'm not in the mood after all. Have fun. Captain! I'm going!"