Chapter 2

"How was your first encounter with Mr. Riddle?", Mcgonagall asks the minute my charcoal skirt hits the oak wood chair.

"It was fine", I replied twiddling my thumbs.

"Fine? That's all?"

Mcgonagall places her veiny hands on her hips.

I'm not sure what more there is to say. I can't tell her I abandoned the notes from the ministry. That is the point of the entire task. And I certainly can't tell her I was making deals with him. It's unheard of.

"Yes. It was fine"

"Do you think he's capable of returning to Hogwarts?"

"I- I'm not completely sure of that yet", I murmured.

She thought for a moment before saying, "Alright, I hope this isn't interfering with your classes?".

"No, not at all. I'm more than ahead of schedule"

Mcgonagall smiles, "of course you are".

Before I can say much more there's a knock on the door and Professer Stiltskin slips inside.

"My apologies headmaster", He says dipping his head.

Mcgonagall waves it off.

"You better get going or your going to be late for Dark arts. I'll see you tomorrow Hermoine to discuss.." She trains her eyes on Professer Stiltskin "..Well you know who".

I bow to Mcgonagall and give a small greeting to Professer Stiltskin before slipping out the door.

***

I pick at loose skin on my fingernail, trying to avoid all and any conversation. Not that anyone would actually have a conversation with me anyway. They all look at me like some savior. They all do. I lift my head up to look around the dining hall. Many unfamiliar faces. Faces that thank me everyday for my bravery for helping defeat the dark lord. It wasn't me, I did nothing! I didn't sacrifice myself like Harry. Stand up to the dark lord like Neville or Ginny. Fight breathlessly like Fred, George, or Ron. I hid and I waited until it was over. I am a coward. Yet I except their praise. Why? I can't seem to stop asking myself this.

I look past the gryffindor table and over to the slytherin table. It's partially empty. Many slytherins did not return. I can understand why. I see Blaise and Draco eating quietly together. Theo is trying to make conversation, but they have no interest. Should I let them know about Mattheo? They probably think he is dead. Many were angry that they let Draco off with minimal punishment. There were riots at the ministry. How will the people react when they find out the truth about Mattheo?

Draco must feel me staring because he lifts up his head to meet my eyes. Oh no. It's too late to look down now he's already seen me. He raises an eyebrow at me. He looks almost as bad as Mattheo. And his usual scowl has been replaced by a raised eyebrow. It's like he has no energy to argue with me. I almost feel bad.

Ow. I feel a stinging pain in my hand. I look down and notice I've ripped skin off my pointer finger. I see blood starting to leak from it. I stick my finger in my mouth to suck out the blood. It burns.

I look back and Draco is no longer staring at me. His stare has been replaced by Theodore Nott's. who is most certainly not afraid to give me an ugly snarl. This is shocking to me. Theo is normally the calm one. Was I mistaken when he was trying to crack jokes earlier? He gets up and leaves the dining hall in long strides. Eyes still on mine, he makes his way around the corner. He knows I'll follow him. He knows my curiosity will get the best of me. I won't let him be right. I won't follow him.