Chapter 7

When I reached Mcgonagalls office the door was already open.

I step through the doorway and scan the room. Mcgonagall isn't here. Maybe she's out?

"Ah, Ms Granger you're here!"

Mcgonagalls voice behind me causes me to jump.

She laughs. "Apologies Hermoine, didn't mean to startle you".

I shake my head. "No worries. You um.. wanted to see me?", I ask.

"Yes, yes! I have very great news for you!"

"Really?", I ask shocked.

She struts up to behind her desk and starts looking for something. She pulls out a thin sheet of paper.

"The ministry was so proud of your patience with Mr. Riddle they'd like to give you another job to do"

I gulp. "Another?"

"Yes another! Although it will be much simpler".

Another task? I suppose it would do me good. I do still want to work in the ministry. And Mcgonagall says it's simple. What's the harm?

"Alright, what do I need to do?"

Mcgonagall lights up. "Like I said, very simple. You'll just need to keep a close watch on Mattheo for the rest of the year"

My jaw drops. "I'm sorry, what?", I quaked.

"Well it wouldn't be anything difficult Hermoine. Just make sure he stays out of trouble", she announces, crossing her arms.

I shift nervously in my seat. She can't be serious?

"But you said the ministry would be keeping an eye on him?"

"Well they we're. There's been undercover students walking around for weeks"

"And why can't they keep watching him then?", I challenged.

"They have not noticed anything out of the ordinary. They must put there forces elsewhere. You are just a precaution"

"That's absurd! Mattheo wants nothing to do with me and I with him! How do you expect me to keep him in line?"

Mcgonagall sighs. "Every good leader can do a job no matter the difficulties. How do you think you'll ever make it in the ministry if you can't do such simple tasks?"

Great. She's baiting me. She did say I was only a precaution. As long I say nothings wrong they'll never know if I was actually watching him or not. Again this would look really good for me.

I twiddle my fingers thinking.

"Fine", I say finally, " I will keep a close watch on him"

Mcgonagall smiles.

It's almost midnight. I've been hauled up in my room for the entire day. I start to get up and leave.

As I'm about to walk out the door Mcgonagall says something that really shocks me.

"Oh and Hermoine, I've switched you to all of Mr. Riddles classes. You'll have your new schedule in the morning".

***

I was dreading going to class. Heavily dreading it. How could Mcgonagall do this to me? And why me? Was there no one else required for this job? I find that hard to believe. It's unfair. And after my past with his family how could anyone think I wouldn't be biased? Just because I'm Hermoine Granger I should have compassion. Yeah well, I don't. Do I?

As Mcgonagall had said, my new class schedule was waiting for me in my dorm. My first class with Mattheo was Herbology. I was wearing my usual robe plus skirt combo. My gray knee-high socks with the red stripes as well.