Please, No

We were undercover again and I hated it. I was just getting a vibe that I didn't understand and I didn't like. I couldn't explain it, but something was wrong.

"I don't like this Darren," I told Nick under my breath, with his cover name.

He rolled his eyes, "Relax Elizabeth. God you are so high maintenance sometimes," he looked at the guy that we were tracking, "women am I right?"

The man scoffed and pulled a gun to Nick's chest, "feds, am I right?"

No. God, please no. Okay, keep your cool. You are wired into Gibbs and McGee, they will be in for backup in less than five minutes.

He didn't wait five minutes, he didn't wait a second. He shot Nick in the shoulder. Nick fell to the ground, and I dropped, putting my hands on the wound to try to stop the bleeding.

Gibbs and McGee came in shortly after shots were fired. Gibbs imminently took down the man we were tracking and Tim called 911 for Nick.

"Look at me," I cried, putting my head on Nick's so I could hold pressure. "Look at me. Say something please. Say anything?"

His eyes were still closed and his breathing was fast and shallow, "love."

His breathing got slower, and he wasn't responsive. The EMTs got to us and loaded him into the ambulance. They told Tim and me to meet them at the hospital, but to be prepared because it wasn't looking good.

I cried the whole way that we drove, I couldn't keep it in. Nick was dying or already dead at this point. Tim called Delilah to come to sit with us because she and I were close so he knew that would help some.

When we got to the hospital, he helped me get to the front desk. I tried to tell them who I was, but I couldn't. Every time I went to open my mouth I would just let out a squeaky cry. Tim told them for me and the front desk person's face dropped.

"Please. Please, no. Please please please," I cried.

She shook her head, "no he's not, it's just not looking too good ma'am. I'm so sorry. We are doing everything we can, but I would call someone for you and come back and say your goodbyes before we take him for surgery."

It was like a whirlwind, one second I was holding his hand in the hospital bed, the next he was gone, and the next a doctor in a white coat was coming to tell me that the love of my life was gone. I was never going to see him again, never hug him, never kiss him, never start a family and get married. It was all gone, and it fucking sucked. 

"Please, no!" I yelled, sobbing so hard I could barely catch my breath.

"Ellie?" Nick asked, rubbing my back. "Ellie, wake up. What's going on? What happened?" He asked, rubbing his eyes.

I shot up in the bed, still sobbing, and laid on top of him, pulling myself as close as possible which still wasn't close enough. I tried to tell him what was going on, but I couldn't. I could t breathe or speak, I just needed to hold onto him.

"Eleanor, Ellie, what's going on? Talk to me," he whispered into my hair, still rubbing my back. When I didn't respond, he turned the light on and say up. He held me to his chest and kissed my head, taking deep breaths in an attempt for me to match them.

After about fifteen minutes of sitting, I finally calmed down enough to tell him about the horrid dream I had. Tears streamed down my face as I relived the hell my brain had created.

"Okay, shhh," he said, wrapping his arms around me tighter. "Let's just be here together and then we can tell all our friends about your pretty pretty ring."

I nodded and snuggled into his chest. I hated being this helpless, but I knew he didn't care. He was always there and we were always there for each other. It was easy for me to help him and help anyone, but I hate asking for help.

Maybe that's why I didn't cling to anyone in my dream, maybe that's why I tried to save him myself. Or maybe I dreamt it because of the near-death experience we just faced together. Whatever it was, Nick would be making me talk to Jack. Honestly, we would both be talking to her, shoot outs will do that to you I guess.

At some point, I fell back asleep, snuggled into his chest. It was a restless night of sleep, it probably would've been better if I just stayed up.

When we woke up and got ready for work, Nick had made me a large French vanilla iced coffee with fancy cold foam on top. He was doing the little things that made me smile to try and help me be less overwhelmed.

When we got into the office, Jimmy was upstairs. He saw the dark circles under my eyes but didn't ignore them as everyone else did. "Damn," he said with a laugh, "did you two have a fun night?"

I rolled my eyes and sat at my desk, "Shut up Palmer," Nick said harshly.

"Nick be nice," I said in a much softer voice. "Anyway, once Gibbs gets in here we have something to tell you guys."

"Gibbs is here," I heard from behind me.