Chapter 1: Art Class Partner

Deanna's POV

I groaned with the aches I got from sleeping on a wrong position, I just crouched on my seat and tried to lay my head beside mom and slept like that the whole night. I yawned and finally sat down straight, stretching my joints. I opened my eyes and saw several comic books and an iPad laid on a wooden Chabudai, a Japanese table. I looked around and realized that I was sitting on the floor at the center of my room. But I never went home yesterday...

"Dean! You have to get up now or you'll be late! Don't tell me you stayed awake all night again because of those comics or worse, you slept while sitting again? I told you to stop doing that or else you'll be a hunchback! I'm taking your iPad and comics if you don't get out of your room." Mom's voice sounded like it was coming from the kitchen.

I rolled my eyes, sleeping while sitting became a habit of mine since high school because I would often fall asleep while reading web comics at night. I still do it now that I'm an adult but I never became a hunchback. Ha, sike mom!

But how come mom is okay now? Yesterday, she was only lying in a hospital bed, but now she's cooking? When did she get discharged? Is she even allowed to cook after a heart attack?

"Dean! I said get up!" Her voice became louder and louder each moment and without a doubt, my door busted open revealing my mom in an apron.

"Mom..." I said, looking at her. She looks healthy like a heart attack never occurred and she looks... younger?

"What? You're going to be late. Get your ass up and eat. Take a bath and wear your uniform." She said.

"What uniform? We never wear uniform at our office and my work's still at 9:00 a.m." I tried explaining to her.

"You're working now? Did you quit school already? Who said you can quit school like that?! Get up! Your classes starts at 7:30!" She was picking up my laundry clothes while I transfer my groggy self to my bed.

"Mom, what are you saying? I already graduated college two years ago." I groaned.

"Are you still dreaming? You're still in high school. Get up and go take a bath." She pulled my arm and forced me to go to the bathroom.

My face crumpled and I scratched my neck in annoyance. Can heart attack give you memory loss? I should've asked that to her doctor. I stopped in front of the mirror and saw myself. I was wearing my favorite Stitch large shirt which I threw in the garbage last year because of how ugly it had become. But this looks brand new as hell. And what happened to my face? I look prettier and younger. Something doesn't feel right.

"Mom... what date is today?" I asked her, still looking at the mirror.

"It's August 16. Why?"

August?! It's only May 16 yesterday! Three months already passed?! No way...

"What year?" I asked her with a shaking voice.

"2021?" She answered slowly like she was making sure I wasn't going crazy.

"Ah! I must be dreaming... this must be because of that damn web comic." I said, smirking to myself as I make my way back to my bed.

"What do you mean dreaming? You're really confusing me today, Deanna! You can't trick me, you will attend your classes!" She said, slapping my arm.

I immediately yelped at how heavy her hand was and rubbed the spot she just hit. I hissed and looked at her. And then it dawned to me, if this was a dream, why do I feel pain?

I felt like my world is ending and life is playing with me. How can this happen? How did I go back in time? And why on this year? Does that mean I have to repeat school again? Of course, I have to. I don't even have a high school diploma. I don't even remember what high schoolers used to study. I won't be surprised if I fail now. Honestly, I want to pull every string of my hair.