Chapter 5: Zeus' First Child

Solitaire's POV

"Hey, where's Ace? It's the day of the Triad." Jax whispered to me while Freya stood in front.

I looked around the room. Spade's seat was empty so is Dean's and there was no sign of Ace in the room. All that's left were his belongings. Athena, Ace's partner on the Triad, was reading a book, muttering something to herself while holding a pencil. She was probably reviewing for the competition later.

"I don't know. He was here earlier." I answered, shrugging my shoulder.

Jax scratched his head and went to Freya. Jax and Freya discussed something for a while before catching the attention of our classmates.

"Listen up, guys. Two of our classmates will represent our school for the Triad later which will be held in the gymnasium. The gymnasium will be open for audiences for all the participating schools in our region. We would like to ask for your support in behalf of Ace and Athena. We believe that if we go there, we will lift their spirits up." Jax explained.

"And you, guys, don't have to worry about our afternoon subjects. We already talked to our subject teachers and they agreed to excuse us and let us watch the competition." Freya added.

Our classmates cheered and clapped because it was another free afternoon for them. Athena smiled proudly at her best friend and relieved for receiving our support. At the back of our room, Ace walked in the door, followed by Dean. They were nudging each other, Ace had a mischievous smile while Dean was glaring at him.

"You owe me one. You have to come watch the Triad." I heard Ace said to Dean.

"How did I owe you? I didn't ask you for help, in fact, I waved you off earlier. Plus, I don't even know what that Triad is." Dean replied. I didn't know that Ace and Dean were close.

"Where did you even come from? Are you serious? You really don't know what the Triad is?" Ace fired back, walking towards their own tables and seats now.

Dean was the one who took a seat since her seat was at the very back of the room. Dean shrugged and Ace was supposed to stop at Dean's table to continue their conversation but Jax approached him and dragged him near our tables.

"Where did you go? We were looking for you." Jax whispered.

Ace snickered. "Oh, I was out helping a rat sneak in our school, sadly, we got caught in the process and got punished."

I glanced at Dean who was busy taking out another one of her beloved comics. So she was late?

"What? Why did you get yourself in trouble? What about the Triad?" Jax asked in concern as a friend and the president of our class and high school department.

"Relax, Jax. I'm fine, nothing to worry about. I'll win the Triad like the past three years." Ace said as he take a seat next to his partner, Athena, and the seat just right in front of Dean.

The Triad competition was an academic competition consisting of three major and advanced subjects: Mathematics, Science, and English. And like what Ace said, he is the champion of the Triad for three consecutive years now. He remained undefeated and the whole region has yet to find a formidable opponent to Ace and his partner, Athena.

Ace Lawrence, like his name, has always been the ace when it comes to academics and logical reasonings. He is smart, if not a genius. Second to him was Athena Brillantes, the smart, studious, and hard worker best friend of Freya.

When the tragedy of Spade happened, my friendship with Jax and Ace crumbled. They blamed me and that was totally understandable, because even I blamed myself with what happened. Especially, Jax. Jax was devastated with what happened, at the same time, he was also dealing with his own personal problem. He ended our friendship right there, and then.