Chapter 3: The Black Spade

Solitaire's POV

Looking back, I think that was where it all started. When Spade started falling in love with Freya. Spade didn't have the chance to be beside his mom on her last minute, he didn't have the chance to say what he wanted to say to his mom and it left a space in his heart. That regret created a domino effect because after that, he leaned on Freya who always understood him.

Ever since we were young, Ace, Jax, and I have been friends since our parents were business partners. We practically grew up together and then at middle school, we met this boy.

Out of all four of us, Spade was always the one who stood out. He never had this ideal boy next door image, instead he always sported a bad boy look and everyone knew how his family background was different from the three of us, not that it matters. His father worked as a clerk in a small company while his mother suffered from ovarian cancer, drowning their family in hospital debt, and his younger sister depended on him most of the time.

Spade coming from a not-so-well off family was never a problem to us. He wasn't lacking in anyways, in fact, he is more than us. Spade always liked sports and he did sports well. He became the captain of our soccer team, a star player that was scouted by huge universities that overlooked his financial problem in the past. He had a great future ahead of him. But everything fell apart when he died on that day.

"Why... Why did you rejected his offer?" Dean who was quiet beside me spoke.

"I said I'm going to share this umbrella with you, right? You know, chivalry is not yet dead." I smirked even though it was hard for me. What was going to happen after this day stayed on my mind.

"But you should've left." Her voice faded into the thin air.

Deanna's POV

Thinking that this was the chance for me to finally have my first love was ridiculous. I was enchanted by that thought for a minute but I slowly realized that I am still inside of a web comic. And the protagonist and the male lead is always the center of the universe. The guy beside me just happens to be Freya's main love interest. My umbrella guy just happens to be the male lead of this web comic.

I'm not going to lie. Meeting my umbrella guy for the second time felt like it was destiny, like it was fated, and realizing that we have no chance even in this fictional world left a disappointment in my heart. But I acknowledge that he is fictional and a main character in this fiction. I acknowledge that I am just a mere background character and the only thing I can do is to watch the protagonist and male lead succeed their love.

The only thing I can do for him is to support and root for him in this fictional world. I'll watch him be the male lead while I figure out how to get out of this web comic!

The way to my street was quiet. It seems like Solitaire had a lot on his mind and I didn't want to bother him. Our male lead needs some time to think of a strategy to win the protagonist. But I'm fine walking to my house alone with just one block left.

I reached out my hand and pretended to be catching raindrops again to check if it was still raining hard just so it wouldn't be awkward to start a conversation.

"Seems like the rain is gone now. Thank you for letting me share an umbrella with you but I'm fine here. You can go ahead and go home. It will get dark soon." I said, trying hard not to be awkward.

"Oh, I didn't notice the time. Is your house near here? I can just drop you off there." He said, snapping out of his train of thoughts.

I chuckled awkwardly, "It's fine, it's fine. I can go home alone. Besides, you look like you need to go home. You seem lost in your thoughts."