Chapter 4: Love, Death, and Grief

Cupid did not understand what happened. She and Thalia were getting along perfectly fine one day, and then the next Thalia was avoiding her like the plague. It frustrated her to no end.

Like right now, Cupid had just gotten to the Castleteria and beamed at the girl, walking up to her so they could have breakfast together, but as soon as Thalia saw her, she wrapped her cloak tighter around her and got up to leave, her breakfast half eaten. No "good morning", no smile, not even a second glance. She even left her coffee!

Cupid just wanted to know what had changed in so little time. Everything else seemed fine with Thalia! She still hung out with Raven and Maddie around the hallways, and Cupid swore she had even seen her smile more than once. She went to class and sat on her usual seat, she had even seen her chat with Briar and Ashlynn!

"I don't know what in the kingdom has happened! We were friends at the party, and when I got back to our room, there was this horrid black curtain in the middle!" The angel complained to Blondie. "And I can't move it! It's the worst thing ever after!"

"I honestly don't know what to tell you, Cupid. She's a strange girl." She waved it off, not seeing her friend's frown. "To me, she seems the same."

That was the problem. People just thought it was normal, but she knew better. There was something bothering Thalia, but she wouldn't tell her.

The game of cat and mouse continued for so long and frankly, Cupid was getting tired of it. Finally, she cornered Thalia while she was talking to Maddie. Thalia grimaced as she realized that she couldn't avoid her roommate anymore.

"Why are you avoiding me?" Cupid asked the million-dollar question. "Did I do something?" Thalia crossed her arms and looked away, seemingly embarrassed.

"Come on, Thals! Tell me!" Cupid begged. When Thalia stayed silent, Cupid feared the worst.

"I-" Thalia was about to answer when Cupid interrupted her.

"Look, I'm sorry for throwing you to Raven so that Dexter could forget about her and come to me, but I didn't think it'd be so bad! You two are great for each other! Please just stop avoiding me!"

Thalia's eyes widened. "What..."

Cupid realized that Thalia was not avoiding her for that reason and rushed to explain herself. "L-look, I know that sounds bad..."

"You used me and you call yourself my best friend?" Thalia's eyes flashed dangerously and she bared her teeth, showing her pointed canines. "I haven't had friends for a long time, but even I know friends aren't supposed to do that!"

"Thals, if you could please just listen-" Cupid put her hands out to try and console her, but it didn't work.

"I can't believe I fell for you."

Cupid tensed. "Wait, what? Y-you like me?" She asked incredulously.

"Yes. It's the first time that I've ever had a crush, and it turns out she was using me the whole time." Thalia turned away from Cupid, her gaze now stone cold. "I didn't like how you made me feel. It was new, and I didn't know how to handle it. But I do now. Congratulations Cupid, you got what you wanted. I finally believed that love wasn't so bad, but because of you, I won't be letting anyone near my heart like that ever again. Hope you're happy." Thalia was trying hard not to let the tears well up her eyes, or her voice crack.

Love... Romantic love was such a stupid thing. It was dangerous, too. She had a new feeling in her chest now. Is this what others feel when Father takes their loved ones away?