Chapter 1-The Girl

I stood next to Alfie staring through the trees at the sight in front. I continued to itch my nose, as usual, due to my nervousness. I stroked my wolves fur trying not to startle her. Amethyst jumped at the sudden touch but settled upon realising who's hand it was. Alfie turned to look at me and smiled comfortingly. I removed my hand from my nose and kneeled down beside Ame.  I always wondered where she came from but in general I was just glad I had another friend and another hand to hold...well a paw. My breath hitched when I followed Ame's eyes. My mouth formed and o shape. It was the girl and the wildcat. Just like from my dreams. Looking as if she felt my stare, she turned to me and glared, as if daring me to hurt her. I looked down and saw the wildcat tilting his head as if debating something. Ame did the same before turning and swishing her tail in the other wildcats face. The girl looked down at Ame then back at my eyes questioning me. I shrugged at her and turned back around. Alfie nodded at me, not noticing the girl, so I climbed up the tree to get a better view. Four figures circled the fire like a dark wave. They rattled the drum, whispers getting louder. It sounded like someone screaming in my ears so I covered them trying to drown out the noise. I looked towards the girl and saw her staring in fear. I did something that shocked me. I climbed down and slowly tapped on her shoulder. She turned around swiftly and stepped back. I placed down my crossbow and stepped away from it. She didn't look as cautious but she still didn't trust me. Her gaze stayed on me whilst Ame sat at my feet. Her gaze was boring into my skull so I scratched my nose but looked up and removed it. I sent her a kind smile before slowly picking up my crossbow and stalked back to Alfie. Despite the noise howling in my ears, I tapped Alfie on the shoulder so he turned around and took my hand to comfort me. It helped. Not loads but it still helped. One figure was squatted by the fire making something from a ball of wax. Suddenly, everyone stopped, their heads bent, the drum and rattle silenced.
Unfolding his body, the squatting figure stood upright. I wanted to shoot him then and there for the horrors I've seen him do but something stopped me. It was my conscious. I knew I wasn't a murderer but I'd happily do it to him. I guess if it went wrong there would be consequences. Firelight fell upon his face which was hidden completely by a white mask. I turned to the girl and saw her shiver whilst the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. Why is she even here I thought. The girls eyes widening as if realising something that I didn't understand.
The mask was white and it shone in the firelight like a polished bone. Dark holes marked. The eyes and two lines of jagged bones jutted out below in a grim smile. At this point, I was shaking with fear despite the brave mask I wear. Skull held up the wax, now moulded into a shape: the unmistakable outline of a person. As I made a grab for my binoculars, my bracelet tightened making me wince and look down at it. The skin around was white and had no blood running through. I quickly loosened it by tapping the charm in a pattern and continued to look at the sight I came to see. The chant began to grow again, pulsing in time with the drum and rattle, and my eyes widened. They were tapping the drum in the same pattern I use to loosen my bracelet. Was I connected to this, I thought. An eerie coldness ripples through me so I looked at Moll and she was shaking softly. Skull raised the wax figure into the air and squeezed it in a clenched fist. The wax, still warm, squirmed between his fingers like glue. The sight horrified me to the point where I didn't realise my bracelet tighten. A laugh slid out between Skull's teeth, coiling it's way through the trees. My face paled and I began scratching my nose once again. The chanting rose and once more Skull gripped the small figure, punching his fist into the air. The wax squeezed through his fingers until it was a mangled lump once more.
Then Skull's voice came, slithering and cold, seeking them out like a chill. 'Come, beast, come child, come, girl with a wolf for a friend. Come, beast, come, child, come, girl with a wolf for a friend...'
My breath hitched. I turned and saw Alfie looking at me in fear so I just nodded feeling the bracelet tighten. I felt this tug but pushed it to the side. Just this time, the pattern wasn't working. Alfie quickly rushed away and tiptoed towards a horse. That wasn't what I was looking at though, it was the girl. She raised the catapult under her chin so I jumped down and rushed towards her. But as usual I was too late, and she fired hitting Alfie's head.