A New Twist

Imogen was pulling on her coat in the hall of the Oakby Manor when the front door opened, and Mr. Oakby Snr walked in, a briefcase in his hand. He cut a striking authoritative figure in his perfectly tailored coat, his three-piece suit, and his black gloves. Only an Oakby could make the most unadorned, conservative suit look so dashing!

"Ms. Fox, what a pleasant surprise!" he purred. "Are you coming or going?"

"Afternoon, Mr. Oakby," Imogen croaked. "I'm leaving. I was– visiting Petra."

"Ah I see." His cold blue eyes studied her face. "Since Dr. Nenadovich seems to thrive in dangerous and unsettling circumstances, I assume you weren't here to comfort her after last night's incident. Did you come seeking the company of your Watson, perhaps?"

He raised his right eyebrow, and Imogen swallowed a nervous knot in her throat.

"We had tea," Imogen said bleakly.

"And perhaps a bit of sleuthing?" he drew out.

"It was just a small chat," Imogen said defensively. "And we didn't talk about the murder, just the break-in."

"You don't have to hide it from me, Ms. Fox," the Titan said with a sly half-smile. "It is my son who would like to see your exceptional investigative talent tucked away behind stacks of dusty papers on your desk in the Town Hall. I personally think you should be allowed to roam free and nose around to your heart's content."

"I have children, Mr. Oakby," Imogen said in a stern voice. "I can't just 'nose around' when there are murderers involved."

"But Carolina Viviani isn't a murderer. At least it is unlikely that she is," he said.

Imogen frowned. He was playing devil's advocate.

"Either way, I have promised John to stay away from dangerous investigations." Imogen nodded firmly. "And I'm keeping my word."

"That is most venerable of you, my dear," he said in a suspiciously complimentary tone. "But you must have some thoughts on the subjects. Please, do share," he said. "Surely, a simple conversation with me, with no murderers around, can't be considered a crime against your oath."

Imogen sighed again and nodded.

"There is... something," she started slowly.

"Yes?" he drew out, encouraging her.

"You see, Mr. Oakby, it's just something that I can't wrap my mind around," Imogen blurted out. "Why did Carolina Viviani come to the Manor that day? I was down in the secret passage in the priest's hole, and you three were discussing the code to the safe, upstairs, and then I came up, and we were having tea. And she came, you see? And it just doesn't add up!"

"I'm afraid you've lost me, Ms. Fox," the Titan said with a chuckle. "What doesn't add up?"

"Carolina coming to your house. Had she been here before? Had she ever come here before? And on her own volition, without an invitation from you."

The Titan frowned pensively - and then shook his head.

"That's what I assumed. You see, I know very little of your private life, and believe me, I do not judge," Imogen said, "but I always thought powerful men like you must draw a clear distinction between their liaisons, and their personal meaning their family life. The Oakby Manor is part of your family life. I don't think John - and even Petra herself - understand the significance of Petra staying with you here, but correct me if I'm wrong, I just can't imagine you ever encouraging Carolina Viviani to have a cup of tea here, to say nothing of showing up uninvited."