Lavinia

Author's Note:

I assume none of you remembers it anymore (except, perhaps, my dearest @leoniderprofi who's currently rereading The Swallow Barn Cottage Series <3) but in the chapter titled 'Whitlaw vs Ferguson' in Between Heaven and Rock story, you all kept asking for more information on the Oakby-Fox incident of 1991. Here it is :) I hope you enjoy!

Cheers,

K. xx

P.S. I often wonder how much important RL information I can't retain or quickly lose because my noggin is full to the brim with the Fleckney wiki :D

***

"Ah, that's where it went," the Titan murmured. "I wasn't aware." He looked aside, his face softened even more. "The portrait belonged to my Grandfather. He kept it secret, since, as you're well aware–" He glanced at Imogen impishly. "It's not his wife who's depicted in it. My Father had it removed from the study and stored away. When I came into its possession, I– reinstated it. There's a sliding panel in the study on the second floor, behind which the portrait had been kept until– I asked Fellowes to put it away. I didn't know she put it in the priest's hole, because, as you know, due to my claustrophobia I'd never be able to go there."

There were quite a few telling pauses in the man's answer, and Imogen frowned and studied his face. Her mind worked quickly through what he'd said - and what he'd omitted.

"Why did you reinstate the portrait?" she asked.

The Titan gave out a quiet laugh. "I can't say this enough, Ms. Fox. You're endlessly sharp." He met her eyes. She saw his lips press, almost unnoticeably, and he folded his large, elegant hands on his lap. "Alistair Oakby was already married when the portrait was commissioned. Your Great Grandmother was twenty, he was thirty seven. He loved her dearly and was prepared to leave his wife and his five year old son for her. She refused to be responsible for the unhappiness of his family, broke it off, and left the county for four years. When she returned, she married Matthew Addington. I consulted my Grandfather's diary, when it became known to me that you and my son were romantically involved."

"You made sure we weren't related by blood," Imogen muttered.

"It is a small county, Ms. Fox," he said, sardonically tilting his head.

"You haven't answered my question, Mr. Oakby," Imogen said quietly. "Why did you keep the portrait? Millicent Addington almost destroyed your family. The portrait is tangible evidence of what happened. It goes against your family values. Nothing is more important for the Oakbies than preserving their honour. 'Honor, sanctitas fidelitasque' is your motto, is it not? 'Honour, purity, and loyalty.'"

His eyes roamed her face, and then he sighed.

"Imogen, I've grown quite fond of you in the last year." The Titan's voice dropped low. Imogen's eyes widened in shock. He gave her a joyless smile. "I'm afraid my answer could... hurt you."

"Hurt me?" Imogen repeated. "Do you mean to say, you found something in Alistair Oakby's diary that could upset me?"

He shook his head. "I didn't keep the portrait because of who was in it." He once again grew silent - but then he seemed to arrive at a decision. "I kept it because of who it reminded me of. I can't agree with the statement you once made - that beauty skipped generations in the women of your family - but you were right when you said that looks did. You look exactly like your Grandmother, while Millicent Addington's features were inherited by your–" His lips closed around the first sound of the next word - and twisted anxiously.

"My Mother," Imogen exhaled.

The Titan's jaw set, tense and willful - and he nodded.

"You kept the portrait because you saw my Mother in it." Imogen's voice wavered. Another slow nod from him followed. "What happened between the two of you?" Imogen asked.