Heebie-Jeebies All Around

"Ms. Fox, this is Deidre Dyre," the Headmistress said in Imogen's mobile, and the latter shot up, alarmed by the woman's tense tone.

"Good evening," Imogen answered, and the Mayor mouthed, "What's wrong?"

"Ms. Fox– Imogen," the Headmistress said and made a small distressed noise, which sounded like a softer, less rumbly version of the throaty grumbles the Mayor produced on a daily basis. "There's quite a– There's been another burglary, but– Oh goodness me, I don't know how to even approach this subject!"

Imogen heard a male voice in the background, it sounded as if the man was softly suggesting something.

"Imogen, would you be able to take a cab to my place, please?" Mrs. Dyre said after a long pause.

Imogen threw the Mayor a concerned look. The man asked, once again, silently, "Who's that?"

"It's a sensitive– private matter," the Headmistress continued. "I'd rather not involve my brother in it. At least, for as long as possible."

Imogen covered her mobile with her head and said to the Mayor, "It's your sister. She needs to talk to me urgently. It's something personal."

"Personal?" His eyebrows jumped up in surprise. "As in– I mean, right... If it's personal, it's personal. Would you like me to call you a cab? Or drive you?"

"A cab, please," Imogen answered.

The Mayor gave her a frowned look - the situation was proving itself rather unusual - but asked nothing and got off the sofa to look for his mobile. Imogen could see it on the coffee table but allowed the man to venture into his search in other rooms of the cottage.

"Mrs. Dyre, what do you mean when you say there was another burglary?" she hissed, when the Mayor disappeared in the kitchen. "Are you– Are you alright?"

"It wasn't my home," the Headmistress answered. "I'll explain everything when you get here."

Imogen chewed her bottom lip, debating whether she needed to inform Mrs. Dyre that under no circumstances Imogen was to be involved into any sort of sleuthing, but then she decided against bringing it up at the moment. She just needed to be firm when the conversation arose. After all, at the moment, she wouldn't be able to fully express her denial to investigate a burglary without mentioning said burglary in the Mayor's vicinity.

Having kissed the concerned Mayor to the cheek, Imogen pulled on her coat and her wellies, and departed in a cab.

***

"Good evening, Ms. Fox," Guthrie said and grinned from his spot in one of Mrs. Dyre's velvet armchairs in the Headmistress' drawing room.

He leisurely put down the cup on a saucer he was holding, and rose.

"Evening," Imogen said and looked at the Headmistress.

The woman shook her head in exasperation and dropped in the second armchair.

"Tell her," she said to Guthrie, who continued standing, slightly bent in a sort of a half-bow.

Imogen slowly sat down on the sofa, facing the other two people, and folded her hands on her lap.

"I've been burgled, Ms. Fox," Guthrie said as if announcing the jolliest piece of news. "Imagine that! That's what I call irony! Blimey, isn't it a magnificent example of karmic justice? All my valuable possessions - gained mostly by legal means - all gone! Poof!" he added, first rounding his cheeks, and then huffing air, while also splaying his fingers in the air, mimicking fireworks or, perhaps, a magician's smoke screen.