A Firm Yes and a Firm No

The words 'I would like to investigate the burglaries in the county' got stuck in Imogen's throat because the Mayor took off his glasses, with a long shaky sigh, and gave her a pained look.

"Please, darling, you don't have to apologise. And thank you for your honesty. I know what's going on," he said. "Di showed you the ring, didn't she?"

Imogen's mind came to an abrupt halt with a loud screech, similar to the noise a merry-go-round used to make during the Winter Festivals in Imogen's childhood. In the recent years the rides for the Fleckney festivities were provided and transported by Rhys Holyoake's company, and Imogen suddenly wondered what happened to the old merry-go-round with the horses with chipped paint and– And then she remembered what sort of a conversation she was leading and had just spaced out in the middle of!

"Um... What?" she squeaked.

"You don't like the ring," the Mayor stated, without a shadow of doubt in his voice.

"What?! No! Wait... what?!"

"I agree, it is unexpected," he said and nodded to his - absolutely unknown to Imogen - thoughts. "I can't see why Di would do such a thing. It would've been somewhat understandable if she disliked it herself and tried to warn you, but she'd always said it would make any woman happy since it's of such an elegant classic design."

Imogen's head was starting to spin. "What do you– What?!"

"That's why she phoned you last night, wasn't it?" he asked and rubbed the bridge of his nose with his index finger, as he always did when feeling particularly distressed.

"No! What?! No! It wasn't about a ring or– I'm sorry, what ring?" Imogen suddenly heard everything he'd just said. "What ring are you talking about? And why would your sister even talk to me about any– Oh."

The penny dropped. Blood drained away from Imogen's face, and she pressed her palms to her cheeks.

"Which ring is it?" she asked in the smallest voice possible.

"My mother's ring. It's in my father's personal vault, and I rang up Di asking her–" It was the Mayor's turn to arrive at an astounding realisation. "You don't have the slightest idea about what I'm talking about," he exhaled.

Imogen shook her head. "Guthrie's cottage was burgled, and she wanted me to look into it," Imogen said. "And Viola is investigating the– Wait, but–" There was ringing in her ears now too. "But– Your mother's ring?!"

"You said yesterday we weren't a real family, and I assumed you wanted me to–"

The Mayor stumbled over his explanation, his cheekbones flushed with soft blush - and now the two of them were sitting in front of each other, utterly lost for words, their faces aghast.

"Why would your sister want to talk to me about the ring?!" Imogen asked.

"What does Guthrie have to do with the investigation?" the Mayor inquired at the same time.

"And we are a real family!" Imogen exclaimed, already moving onto the next point.

"Di has no right to drag you into yet another investigation!" the Mayor continued.

Imogen pressed her hand to her forehead. Some sort of mental fireworks suddenly burst into her head, and she gasped.

"You thought I was pressuring you into proposing!" she hollered.

"No!" He raised his voice as well. "I mean, yes, but– I didn't feel pressured! I didn't need to be pressured. I've been thinking about it for a while!"