Gem

Crystal bounced into the meeting, three minutes late.

The other girls in the Gem Squad raised their eyebrows, but accepted that she was here now.

"Jade's not here again?" Crystal asked.

Diamond shook her head, the red crystals floating around her swirling irritably.

"Well, I'm sure she's just busy with something." Crystal said, trying to calm the agitated energy in the group.

"Busy? I honestly think she's off having fun." Quartz scoffed. "You've seen how disinterested she was last few times she came here.

If Crystal was being honest with herself, she hated the group. She stuck with them because it was her duty to do the best job with the power she'd been given, and the Gem Squad was stronger together.

The rest of the girls were so spiteful and petty. Crystal felt she was absorbing toxicity just by being there.

___

Torian rubbed his pointer finger over the green gem embedded in his chest. It was a reminder of a job he was ignoring.

This magical gem had just started growing there one day, and with it grew the power to turn into the magical girl Jade.

Torian hated it. He hated the insane, godlike power and the randomness of it, never knowing if he'd be reprimanding petty criminals or fighting demigods.

And why him?

Even after asking the other magical girls, he had no answer. They'd all randomly grown their gem. There was no common thread in bloodline, achievement, mindset, anything.

If anything the common thread seemed to be that they were incredibly mean spirited.

Torian sighed. He hoped he wasn't actually like that.

Then there was Crystal. She was always trying to appease everyone, too weak willed to leave, Torian supposed.

Anyway, Jade wasn't rejoining the Gem Squad. None of them knew her true identity, since anonymity was the one thing everyone in the superpowered group could count on.

The Gem Squad would do their job just as well without him, and besides, he wasn't even sure they were helping anyone with their efforts.

"If they turn to the dark side themselves, I'll go stop them if Crystal doesn't." Torian said, the fading light from the window casting his bedroom into darkness.

He lay back on his bed, enjoying his free time.

art is by me

art is by me