Ring

Leilah heard a faint ringing sound as she boarded the school bus. She was tired from being kept awake longer than usual so Dad could see her healed wound for himself, but after a moment she realized that wasn't the source of the ringing.

It was a feeling, not a sound, and it came from the gem in her chest.

Given Crystal's reaction last time they'd met, Leilah wasn't about to respond to her call. She hoped Crystal wouldn't be able to actually sense where Leilah was.

Someone sat next to Leilah, and she looked up, startled.

Milana smiled tightly at her.

"Good morning." she said.

Leilah glared back.

"I know you're only talking to me because your mom told you to." Leilah said.

Milana's smile faltered, then dropped.

"Yeah? So what? She's gonna take away my internet time if I refuse. Put yourself in my shoes." Milana said, as if hoping for sympathy.

"Well my family has realized that..." Leilah didn't want to talk about her wound, "I mean they've gotten over their super paranoia. So you don't need to stalk me."

"I am NOT 'stalking' you. And I know, they called my mother. But they still want me to stalk you." a moment later Milana seemed to realize what she'd said.

A chuckle burst out of Leilah, and after a moment Milana laughed too.

Leilah still wasn't okay with Milana following her around everywhere, though.

"You shouldn't have lied to me." Leilah said seriously.

"Well... it was easier." Milana said, not looking away but looking slightly guilty.

Leilah glared flatly at her for a moment. She was stuck with Milana until her family decided to release her, it seemed. She sighed.

"Why are they still making you follow me?" she wondered.

"Well um, apparently you don't have any friends." Milena said judgmentally.

"And what if I don't want any?" Leilah countered.

She did really, but maybe if her 'friends' were going to be judging her and lying to her all the time...

Milana shrugged, and they sat for the rest of the ride in silence.

Later that day in the lunch line Milana asked,

"So like, I told my friends I was being forced to watch you, but maybe you can make this easier for me and eat lunch with us?"

Leilah remembered the way the popular kids had treated her- smirks, jokes at her expense, an oppressive atmosphere of Leilah being the 'weird' kid.

"No." Leilah said.

Milana glared at her.

She was probably dying to hang out with her friends. Despite herself, Leilah felt bad for her.

"Tell you what, if you want to eat lunch with them instead I'll tell everyone you were with me." Leilah offered.

"That won't work. Everyone will see me." Milana said, slightly mollified, "Why don't you wanna eat with them anyway?"

"I heard you get great grades. The teachers are always saying it. Maybe you can figure out why I might not like being around you and your friends." Leilah muttered.

Really, she didn't quite have the the words to explain the atmosphere Milana and her friends built up. The way they always made Leilah feel small and odd. She was afraid if she tried to say something about it it would sound silly.