Rise

"So do you like looking like that?" Lotta Bucks, Bill's younger daughter, said.

Her face was wrinkled up in what she probably thought was an expression of polite disgust but in reality was extremely rude.

Jade was tired of trying to set people straight.

"Sure." she said, rolling her eyes.

"That's really weird if you don't mind me saying so." Lotta said.

Jade reminded herself that they needed to stay on the Bucks family's good side. She held herself back from making some kind of comment on Lotta's tastelessly posh appearance.

At least Bill didn't feel the need to dress fancy to show his status.

"If you don't mind, I'm going to see what the others are doing." Jade said, floating to the door.

"They're fine. We still haven't turned into mother-eating bogeymen." Lotta said mockingly.

Jade teleported through the door.

She could use all her magic as long as she didn't go onto the grounds, where the wards had been put back up.

Jade quickly checked all of the many main rooms until she found Prina sitting at the foot of a flight of lush red carpeted stairs. She was playing a game on a borrowed phone.

"Where's Len?" Jade asked.

"I don't know. She's so pessimistic. Like, can it really be that hard to enjoy what we have here?" Prina complained.

It took a lot of teleporting for Jade to find Len, but eventually she appeared behind her and Brian in a long corridor lined with expensive looking art in large frames.

"She's not under any illusions about the hospitality being offered here. She's just doing the best she can to stay on the family's good side. That's why she's hanging onto Prissy Bucks like that." Brian said.

"But what about Prina?" Len asked.

"She's just enjoying the mansion and the perks of a rich life. Let kids be kids. And Len, you're also a kid, you should relax too." Brian said, ruffling her hair.

Len grumbled and leaned moodily against the wall, noticing Jade as she turned.

Len took a breath to start yelling at her, but Jade teleported away before she could.

Everyone was really getting fed up with the way Jade kept checking in on them. Len had said it was creepy how she always teleported everywhere.

Jade knew that at least Len and Mom wanted to corner her and insist that she transform back, but she made sure to teleport away before they could lecture her about it.

She liked to be able to talk to her family, but maybe she should be invisible more.

She turned invisible and teleported to Prissy Bucks' sitting room, where her and Mom often hung out. This time she made sure to appear lying against the ceiling, so nobody could bump into her.

Prissy, the older daughter Precious, and Mom were sitting on the couch doing their nails. Prissy and Precious were on their phones.

"Absolutely not. I agree that his actions are mischievous, but he has a right to control over what happens to his body." Mom's mouth clenched as if she wanted to say more.

"Are you really okay with your son having that kind of power? He's a teenager. Teenagers have no impulse control and don't even know what they want most of the time." Prissy said.