Brown

"I saw you transform." said an unfortunate demon woman, caked in sticky brown mud in an unsuccessful attempt to disguise herself.

"Oh my, now you know my secret. Whatever shall I do?" Neris said absentmindedly.

They weren't particularly worried about some random demon knowing who they were.

"You could do so much to make a better place for demons in our society if you told the public." she said, shifting her wings under her ragged cape.

"Any why would I do that? You don't think I'm actually altruistic, do you?" Neris asked.

The demon woman frowned, then leaned forward seriously and whispered,

"Think of their expressions."

She really knew how how to catch Neris' interest.

"Oh, fine fine." Neris said, waving a hand. "But they'll undoubtedly come after us with pitchforks when I confirm that we eat humans."

The demon shook her head.

"Make the human eaters out to be a small minority. It's true that a few of us choose not to, so play that up."

Neris had to admit that lying was one of their favorite activities. Right after playing pranks and eating humans.

___

"This has been so hard to admit, since all of you think of us so badly." Amethyst said, making a sad face into her phone.

She had left the dog filter on, since she thought it would be funny.

"I'm a demon, but I swear I don't eat humans! Really, you people think we're monsters!" she sniffed, wiping imaginary tears out of her eyes.

She ran her eyes over the live chat.

There were people talking or laughing about the dog filter, people who were offended since they thought she was joking about being a demon, a few death threats, someone whose mother had been eaten by a demon...

She chose a comment to read out loud.

"I don't believe you."

She transformed back into Neris, waving a wing in front of the camera to emphasize their point.

They continued skimming the chat.

"Why, it sounds like you didn't even believe me! I'm hurt, truly." they said, the effect somewhat ruined by their more intimidating voice and sharp red eyes, though their teeth were hidden behind the dog filter.

They turned back into Amethyst in a wave of purple gem pieces, reading the strange mix of outrage, death threats, disbelief, jokes, ambiguous emojis and indifference with a satisfied grin.