Chapter 9 - Not Again

Claire's POV:
The next day at school, some guys run into me. "Hey, watch where you're going!" One of them said and the others agreed.

"I didn't do anything. You guys were the ones who-" Another one of the boys interrupted me and said "Stop it with those excuses. We all know they're not true."

All of a sudden I felt hands grab me and my crutches fell to the ground. "Wha-" I started then I felt the hands push me to the ground. My ankle burst in pain and I could feel something warm on it.

I heard the boys laughing and then someone else yelling at someone. Then the next thing I knew, I was back at the hospital.

Jessica's POV:
It was currently intermission when I got a call from the school. I picked up my phone and answered it. "Hello?" I said.

"Hi" I heard from the other end. "Something happened with your daughter Claire, and she was sent to the hospital."

Oh no, she was just there. The poor thing. "What happened?" I asked panicked.

"From what someone saw, a group of boys pushed her down in the hallway and she blacked out."

"Ok. What hospital is it at?" I said, trying to hold back my tears. The person told me the hospital and wished the best of luck for Claire.

"What happened?" Barret asked me, seeing the worried look on my face.

"Claire was sent to the hospital." I replied.

"Oh no! Is she ok?"

"Hopefully."

"Well, go ahead and get changed, then go see her. Ill tell Charissa."

"Ok, thanks." I quickly got changed into my regular clothes, then left saying goodbye to Barrett.
——
Once I arrived at the hospital, I went over to the room she was in. She was still unconscious but a doctor asked "Are you her mother?"

"Umm, yeah." I said. Foster parent and mother were close enough.

"Ok well, Ms, your daughter here ended up breaking her ankle and will have to go into surgery." I took a deep breath and nodded. "Do you have any idea what happened?"

"The office who called said that there were a group of kids at her school and they were pushing her around." I replied.

"Ok, thank you. You may stay here if you'd like." The doctor said, and left the room.

A little bit later, Elle came over. We talked for a little bit until we heard some noise coming from Claire. "Hello sleepy." Elle said.

"Elle, Jess, why am I here?" Claire asked.

"We don't know the whole story, but apparently you got in a fight with some people and ended up breaking your ankle." I said. I'm definitely homeschooling her now.

"Oh." She replied, looking down at her hands. "Do I have to have surgery on it?"

"Sadly, yes." 

Claire's POV:

"Do I have to have surgery on it?" I asked Jess.

"Sadly, yes." Jess replied. I have a million thoughts and questions in my head right now. Mainly ones like What will happen? What if I die? WHYYYYYYYY!!!???

"Here," Jess said, passing me something gray. I looked closer and saw it was a little Koala.

 I looked closer and saw it was a little Koala

(Picture of the koala stuffed animal ↑)

"It used to be mine when I was younger. Why don't you have it?" Jess told me.

"Oh umm, I couldn't take it." She gave me a confused look and I quickly said, "Well, it's just that it's yours and it probably means a lot to you."

"Oh no, its fine. I want you to have it."

"O-Ok. Thanks I guess."

"No problem, anyways I love you, good luck!"

"Wait what?" What is she talking about, is it already time?  I looked over and saw a nurse waiting by the door.

"They came in while we were talking." Jess explained. I nodded in understanding and the nurse came over to me."

"Hi! I'm Sarah and I will help get you prepared." The nurse said. "Do you want me to walk you through it?"

"Yes please." I replied nervously.

"Ok, so first I'm just going to clean this area." She took a wipe and I felt her wipe  part of my right arm. "Ok, now I'm going to put you under anesthesia so that way you won't feel a thing during the surgery and when you wake up, it'll be all done." She took out a needle and got ready.

"You want to hold my hand?" Jess asked and I nodded. She held her hand out and I squeezed it with one hand and held the koala in the other.

"Ready?" Sarah asked. I nodded and I felt a sharp prick in my arm. "All done!" 

The last thing I saw was Jessica giving me a big smile and then I fell asleep.

A/N: Thx to @chaoticgeek for helping me out with some ideas for this chapter. Anyways, hope you enjoyed!