Chapter 6: Summer

PAST 

I hope it wasn't obvious, but I've shuffled through the clothes hanging in my closet about three times already. I couldn't find anything to wear.

Why did I feel like I needed to put in an effort for Cameron St. James was beyond me.

"What is up with you today?" Kenny asked, adjusting her top bun.

Rosie's attention drifted from her phone to me.

Their curious glances were a bit unsettling. Mainly because I couldn't answer that. So I shrugged and laughed it off.

"I'm not sure. My head is in a million places at the moment."

Rosie frowned. "You're not still thinking about your ex, are you?"

Kenny jumped in. "Because that ship sank out in the middle of the ocean, no trace, gone forever, don't need to be found and revived. Leave ancient history as is." She pointed at me.

I rolled my eyes. "Chill out. I'm over him. He's the last thing on my mind." I whipped around, flipping through a few more t-shirts.

It's been over a week since my break-up, and it sucked in the beginning since he felt like my first real relationship. But when I realized it was heading in a direction I wasn't ready for, things took a nasty turn. I quickly learned that he wasn't the one for me. And that's okay. I didn't expect to find true love in High School. Those kinds of romances didn't happen in real life.

I thought about how movies like A Cinderella story were so deceiving. Where was my Austin Ames?

"Hmmm. I surely wouldn't be thinking about my ex if I was about to spend the day with Cameron," Rosie told us.

"Right?" Kenny snickered. "She's so lucky. I don't think I'd get a lot of work done in between staring into his eyes and imagining how his biceps would feel if he was hugging me."

I gave up, letting my hands fall from the rack. Technically, I still had time to pick out something. Three hours to be exact.

Walking over to my comfy pile of cushions in the corner of my room, I plopped myself in-between the girls.

"You two are ridiculous."

"And you are blind. That guy totally had the hots for you, but you picked that idiot instead." Kenny flopped back, throwing her hands behind her head.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, confused.

Rosie put her phone to charge on my wireless charger. "Rumor has it that Cameron St. James had a crush on you." She let out the news like she didn't expect it to affect me.

I screeched. "WHAT? WHEN? HOW?" I grabbed her shoulders, shaking the life out of her for more information.

"I don't know. I don't know! I'm just telling you what we heard!" Rosie said, grabbing my hands to stop the motion.

Cameron St. James likes me?

Or should I say "liked" me? It could be past tense. There's no way a guy like him would hold out for me while I had been dating Drake.

That was more than a sufficient amount of time to get over me and crush on someone else. Right?

If you think about it, Cam was way out of my league. Hockey star, model student, all-around golden boy. There wasn't a person in our entire school that had anything bad to say about him.

I knew there was a whole flock of girls vying for his attention while I was over here, denying that I was the one who had supposedly caught his eye.

Unbelievable.

The part was, I'm trying to figure out if I knew Cameron had liked me before Drake admitted to liking me, would I had still gone out with Drake?

I mean, Cameron seemed like a decent guy but so did Drake once. But then again, Cameron had more shinning recommendations than Drake ever did.

Truth be told, I only went out with Drake because he said he liked me, and I was flattered. So I said, why not?

"OMG! What if Cam still likes me?" My heart thumped in my chest. Wouldn't it be weird?

Kenny and Rosie exchanged looks before hurling over into a laughing hit.

I attacked them both with a cushion. "WHY ARE YOU TWO LAUGHING? HOW IS THIS FUNNY?"

Kenny wrested the pillow away from me. "What if he still likes you? Girls, you better cross your fingers that he does because he would be the best catch of your life."

I rolled my eyes. "I doubt that. I'm not going to fall madly in love with some guy in high school then grow up and tell my kids...."

"That their parents met in High school and stayed together forever." Rosie winked.

"That's not the narrative I was going for." I slapped my forehead. "This is going to be so awkward now. Why did you have to tell me?"

"It was heads up," Kenny told me.

"How so?"

"I feel like Cam let you go last time. I get the impression he won't do that again."

She and Rosie wore matching grins.

"Should I be worried?" I muttered.

"Nope. Just accept it."

"Easy for you to say." I flung myself back.

"Look on the bright side," Kenny began.
I turned my head in her direction.

"Rosie and I will help you plan your wedding." They high-fived each other.

I grumbled. Awesome.