Chapter 13: Summer

I had to suffer through a lecture from my mom before leaving the house, and it lasted way longer than necessary. She should know by now that her daughter was pretty tamed when it came to parties. I would be the one getting kicked out for being lame and all-around boring.

Pulling my phone out, I checked in on my blog. I posted something about school bullying a few days ago, and it's been accumulating a decent amount of views. There weren't many comments, but that was fine. I scrolled through them, replying to as many as possible before reaching the bottom.

A person with the name Lonelystar commented again. They were one of my most loyal readers, and I looked forward to hearing their feedback.

If I could meet them in person, I would. I wanted to know if they went to my school or did they live out of state? Were they a teenager with some dumb dream like mine?

Lonelystar: I'm guessing this has something to do with those idiots that vandalized that one dude's locker the other day. That wasn't cool.

Wait a minute. They actually went to my school!

I like your stance on bullying and how you're trying to bring awareness. Your blog has more substance than most, and you deserve more credit. This post was written better than half of the articles in that crappy local newspaper. And...

"Turn left, and in three hundred feet, your destination is on the left." The navigation system said. My head snapped up, looking out the window.

Rosie borrowed her dad's car to drive us to the party so she wouldn't rely only on our cellphone and Google maps. We rarely traveled to this side of town, so odds were that we would have gotten lost.

I closed my tab and made a mental note to later return to this blog stuff.

The only parking left was down the street from Abbi's house, so we had to walk up. I wore these wedge heels that the girls swore completed my outfit perfectly. I had disagreed but wore it anyway. I was regretting it already; I felt awkward dressing up like this, and I didn't want Jason to think I was trying to impress him.

I wiped my hands on my red floral sundress. Then I adjusted the skinny straps once more before tucking my side bang behind my ear.

"Stop it! You look hot," Kenny told me.

"I didn't want to look hot. I wanted to look like myself," I grumbled back.

Rosie giggled. "Don't you always tell me to step out of my comfort zone every once in a while?

Kenny snorted, holding in her laughter. I glared at her back.

I poked Rosie's side. "Not the time to throw my own words back at me." I scowled jokingly.

She wrinkled her nose, and I cracked a smile.

"We'll help you find Jason, then hand you over," Kenny informed me.

My smile vanished. "Gee, thanks," I muttered. I wasn't sure if I would be comfortable being alone with him. I felt like we would need a buffer or two until he felt comfortable enough to open up to me.

Kenny and Rosie looped their arms around mine, flanking me. "Come on, don't be like that. We'll be creepy and watch from a distance. If you need a reason to escape, start twirling the tip of your bang, and we'll swoop in." Kenny tugged on my hair.

"I'll dramatically start crying about my goldfish dying or something, and then we can leave," Rosie told me. I knew she was serious because that girl could fake cry in a snap. It was almost scary how she could go from smiling sweetly to puppy dog eyes filled with tears.