Chapter 19: Cam

I spent the 15-minute drive to Suho's house listening to him apologize non-stop for something I refused to blame him for. His parents couldn't make it to the meeting with the vice principal because his mom was sick in bed with the flu. She could barely stand. And his dad was out of town for business. They chatted over the phone, and that was that.

The bullies had been suspended for a week. They had argued with vice-principal Matthews that the punishment was too harsh. They swore they would never do it again and blah blah blah.

But if they didn't learn the first time I stepped in, I bet their word was as good as dog poop. Speaking of dog poop, I'd like a rather large pile of it so I could smoosh their faces in it. I couldn't do any more damage than that. My record was already feeling the heat.

"Suho!" I shouted, and he stiffened with wide eyes. I cut him a slide glance while we were at a stop sign. "Please, for Christ's sake, stop apologizing! It's not your fault."

Suho tore his gaze from me, looking out the window. His hands fisted his pants.

"It's just frustrating. Always being one of the few Asian kids in school and getting bullied because I look defenseless. I get picked on because there are some racist jerks out there with some deep psychological problems. You'd think I was used to being the easy target, and maybe if Summer hadn't gotten involved, I would have just taken it." He hung his head for a second.

"But she stepped in to protect me." Suho angrily double poked his chest. His eyes were set ablaze. "She didn't have to do that, and she had got hurt." His shoulder slumped, defeated. "I would have taken that hit ten times over if it meant she would have been okay." He shook his head then banged his palm to his forehead repeatedly. He was at his breaking point. Anyone with eyes could see that.

I drove off but pulled over in the middle of the street. "Hey, you can't do this to yourself. You can't blame yourself." I reached over, shaking his shoulder. "Summer, sure, doesn't it. She shook it off, and she was glad you were okay." It drove me crazy that she had a busted and bruised lip, but she couldn't care one bit because Suho had needed help.

"If I stood up for myself and if Summer thought I was capable of holding my own, she would have stayed away." He pouted, looking like an elementary school kid who got their sandcastle kicked.

I chuckled drily with a shake of my head. "You don't know, Summer. She still would have made it her problem even if you were handling it well. She's the kind of person to have your back when you tell her you don't need anyone. God forbid she ever left you hanging. It's not her style."

Suho's features relaxed, and he smiled, but it was brief. A very welcomed gesture after how guilt-stricken he looked five seconds ago. "Then I guess we're lucky to have her on our side."

I quirked a brow. "We?" I repeated. Wasn't it strange how friends of friends could become friends?

"Yes, we are best friends now," he boldly said but then hesitantly met my eyes as if to say, "Is that alright with you?"

I opened my mouth, letting it hang before a deep laugh escaped.

"Now, if you two could only patch up your relationship," Suho said, scratching the imaginary stubble under his chin.

I lightly punched his shoulder. "I don't want to hear it." I wagged my finger at him. I put on my indicator and pulled away from the curb.

"Okay, I won't mention how she looked like she wanted to swoon at the mere sight of you walking in all concerned. Or how it looked like she was having trouble breathing when you caressed her jaw."

I swallowed, my heart rate picked up speed, thinking of how I had Summer so close to me as I knelt between her legs. It was probably not the most appropriate position in the middle of the main office, but no one thought anything of it. At least, I didn't think so.