Chapter 24: Summer

If I had remembered the whole dinner thing with the mayor's family and close friends, I wouldn't have tried to do what I did yesterday. Now, I was sitting across from Jason, who looked just as thrilled as I was to be here.

Our parents kept trying to bring us both into the conversation, and his mother, Sandra, consistently mentioned that if the two of us didn't have prom dates, we should go together.

How subtle of her.

I couldn't tell if my mother was on board with the idea or totally against it. She just laughed along with everyone else, but it was one of those forced laughs that lasted too long.

My phone vibrated with a few messages from Cam, Rosie, and Kenny. They all had different plans tonight while I was begging them to give me some form of entertainment to make the time go by.

I was bored out of my mind, and these small plates of food they were feeding us were doing nothing for the hole in my stomach. I knew I should've eaten before coming here. These swanky soirees never had the good stuff, and if they did happen to have something reasonably delicious, I bet you'd get it in small portions.

I'd never understood rich people. If I could pay to fill my plate up with yummy food, I would do it. Aesthetics be damned.

When the desserts were finally brought out, I knew the night was coming to an end, all two hours of it.

At the end of the table, one of the men waved to the mayor, grabbing his attention.

Everyone in between quieted down so they could talk.

"Any more town investments you have in the works. The addition to the nursing home is coming along greatly."

The mayor smiled and gave a nod as thanks. " I have many things planned for the next year. Many of which will be extremely beneficial for the town and the people living it. It might even bring in some tourists. Our town will have a chance to be put on the map." He lifted his wine glass and took a sip.

"I don't think demolishing the best salon in town would be good for anyone." My mouth moved on its own accord, and all eyes fell on me.

The mayor choked on his wine, and his wife rushed to pat his back.

He gently placed his glass down in front of him and leaned forward. "Where did you get your info?"

I shrugged, "I have my sources."

He grunted, "I knew one of those workers at city hall had loose lips."

"The mayor doesn't make a decision like that lightly." A woman adjacent to me inserted herself into the conversation.

I had to agree, but not for the same reasons as her. "I know he doesn't. This was well thought out."

"A smart decision," the guy from earlier said. "That salon is old news." A couple of people mumbled a yes.

I clutched the spoon in my hand like I wanted to snap it into two. I was basically in the middle of a fan club dinner where the members were blind and loyal to a fault. "Are you speaking out of bitterness?" I addressed that guy. "I mean, I could see why you so easily dismiss a business getting demolished. What use do you have for a salon? You know, with being bald and all."

There were collective gasps all around except Jason, who had his eyes glued to his cellphone, but I caught a hint of a smirk on his lips.

Mom banged her knee into mine, and I ignored it.

The mayor cleared his throat, demanding the attention of the room. He didn't speak until I acknowledged him.

"You're very opinionated," the mayor said.

I bowed my head mockingly. "Thank you."

His nostrils flared. "Is there anything more?" He was brave to ask that. "I'd like to clear up any misunderstandings." Somehow I didn't believe that.

"Do you happen to know who owns that salon?"

His right eye did this twitching thingy. Is that normal?

"It's the mother of that delinquent. That kid I had arrested a few months back." There's not an ounce of remorse in his voice as he brought it up.

"Delinquent?" I laughed out loud. "Funny." I thought back to the news articles. "It seems like you may have a vendetta against the family."

"They're revenues have been down anyway." He flashed me off, downing the last bit of his wine.

"I can't imagine why? Not like they amassed a bad rap from a town that worships the mayor's every word." The sarcasm dripping from my voice left some jaw hanging.

"Summer Bennet." My mother hissed out of the corner of her mouth.

I couldn't stop there, though. "You could have quietly handled that minor situation. But you let it go public. Why? What did you get out of ruining a family's reputation?"

I tilted my head and raised a brow. He's probably rehearsed a million answers to the questions that would come up tonight. Being faced with a question like mine was not factored in. After a few minutes, I noticed that response I was waiting for wasn't going to come.

The mayor's eyes narrowed on me, but then I saw them cut to my mother before they softened. Don't do me any favors by going easy on your employee's daughter.

Hard-hitting questions were all a part of the job.

"It's alright if you don't have an answer. I've come to my own conclusion already." I smiled sweetly.

"SUMMER!" Mom's warning rang throughout her voice. Mom's head spun to the mayor. "Teenagers and their tantrums."

"Not a tantrum."

"You should apologize."

I shook my head. "He should apologize. I'm speaking facts."

"Speak any more, and you'll be grounded."

I think this was one of the most public disciplinary moments of my life. Too bad, I didn't care what punishment followed.

"If you'll excuse me." I stood up, making my way towards the front door.

I needed the air to cool me off and help lower my blood pressure.

I felt a presence as someone walked up from behind me a few seconds later. "I was sent out to check on you," Jason huffed with irritation. I knew he didn't want to be the one to check on me. If it were up to him, he wouldn't have bothered. I couldn't blame him.

"I'm fine, thanks. Go back inside," I muttered. I had enough to deal with, and his crappy attitude wasn't making it any better.

"I could drive you home if you want," Jason offered, and to my surprise, I peered up at his side profile like I had to make sure I was talking to the right person. His eyes cut to me for a second. "Unlike me, you could actually ditch this party. There's nowhere I could go that my mom won't drag me back from."

Would Mom care if I left?

She was a little pissed at me for speaking out against the mayor. She didn't try to understand my point of view and instantly picked up for him. Then again, how would it look if she disagreed with her boss in front of his closest friends and colleagues?

Oh, screw it! I'm her daughter. It wouldn't hurt to agree with me.

I knew dad would have.

I sighed, playing with this stupid string hanging from my blazer.

"Listen, I wanted to apologize for yesterday...." I began.

"You want the damn ride or not?" Jason snapped.

"No," I replied instantly. I've made it a rule to never get in a car with a guy who raised his voice at me five seconds before. "The walk will do me good."

"Suit yourself." Jason went back inside.

I tightened the strap on my bag and marched forward. The walk home would take me long. But I didn't want to go home.

I headed in the opposite direction.