Chapter 11: Cam

PAST

Summer came sprinting over to my locker when she saw me. "CAM! CAM! CAM!" She grabbed hold of my arm as she bounced on the balls of her feet. Then she hit me with this radiant smile and damn.

Gosh, she was adorable. "Good morning, sunshine," I said coolly while I could feel my heartbeat doing everything but staying calm.

Summer was in a yellow chiffon blouse and a jean skirt with white converses. Pretty.

As per usual, her accessories were kept to a minimum, with a gold rope chain hanging from her neck. She told me once that it belonged to her father and she liked to wear it when she missed him, which was every day.

"We're getting out grades back today. And I predict we're getting an A." Summer grinned up at me confidently.

We did our presentation last Monday, and it went smoothly. Summer was a natural talking in front of everyone. I couldn't say the same, but I tried my best. We turned in our papers the day after that, and we're supposed to get them back today.

Reaching for my last textbook, I slammed my locker shut to give Summer my undivided attention. "Of course, we are. My partner is a historian, and I am..." I thought of something awesome to say.

Summer chimed in, "An all-around smarty pants."

I chuckled. "Nothing like that. I just like to study."

"So a nerd." She teased with a smirk.

I leveled my eyes with hers. "Well, it takes one to know one." I winked.

She snorted, covering her giggles with a cough.

If my buddy Vance were around, he would make a comment about us flirting, and he'd get an elbow in the ribs faster than I could run the mile. Vance was all for the teasing because his life must be too dull for anything else. That and he considered this payback for the time I told Lucy Kim that he had a crush on her back in middle school, and everyone poked fun at him mercilessly. To make matters worse, Suzy confronted him and said that he was too goofy and she was uninterested. His ego took a while to recover from that, and I felt like crap about it until now.

"Come on. I'll walk you to your first class." I held my elbow out, and Summer looped her arm around mine.

Yes, we were getting stares. People had been asking around about me and summer's relationship status for weeks, but I ignored them. It was none of their business.

Most people wanted something to gossip about, and others needed someone to turn their jealously towards when they realized they couldn't get my attention so easily.

I asked Summer how she did on her Pre-calculus homework last night after she texted a picture of an equation that had her completely stumped.

Immediately, I video called her, and we went over it together. We've gotten into a habit of doing that recently, and I loved it.

I wanted her to call me anytime, give me updates on her day or send an invitation to hang out. I'd take whatever time with Summer that I could get.

That rumor about me still hadn't been confirmed, and Summer had no problems pretending she didn't want to know anything.

Naturally, I've been dropping hints. But making a move to ask her out was a different story. I felt like I was waiting for the right time. Who knew when that would be.

"Thanks for walking with me. I'll see you later." Summer's hand cascaded down my forearm into my palm, where I held it.

"No problem." We stopped in front of her homeroom. That walk was too short, no matter how slow we had walked.