one

Levi knew love was never easy, especially not unrequited love. As if the weakness and vulnerability that came with the four letter feeling was bad enough, the fact that his feelings would almost never be reciprocated made it ten times worse.

He hated the way his stomach flipped over and over and over when she was around. He hated the feeling of longing after someone who would never long after him. He hated the feeling of burning jealousy when he saw her kiss someone that wasn't him.

He hated the fact that she'd never know just how much he loved her, but he guessed that was his own fault. He could've told her, could've stormed right up to her table and profess the words that always died off on his tongue.

But he didn't have the guts to do so because she was Isabella. Because even though they were both seniors, and even though they were both in the same honors classes, she was still Isabella and he was still Levi.

He first thought it was her popularity that made her ridiculously unapproachable, but he soon realized it wasn't just the crowd of people that created a physical barrier around her at almost all times. It was the fact that even though she was friendly, her guard was always up.

Something about her smile was always forced, and her eyes never crinkled along with her mouth when one of her friends cracked a joke. She was there, but not really there, living but not really alive.

And Levi wanted to change that. He wanted her face to light up when she saw him. He wanted her to guffaw at his attempts of making her smile. He wanted her.

So when he ran into her the following day, sobbing at a diner, his feet felt compelled to move to her booth but his heart, the fragile thing he wanted to keep whole, kept him from doing so.

"I can't," he said in exasperation as his friends tried pushing him over there.

"Look Levi, this is your chance, so go over there, and be the knight in shining armor you wish to be," Kyle said softly.

"I don't know if I should," he answered honestly. He really didn't. This moment was so surreal to him, and to see Isabella, Isabella Frost weeping just ten feet away, that was some sort of a miracle.

Ace nearly growled and shoved his fingers through his jet-black hair. "Snap out of it, man. Either you go over there, or I will, but I have to warn you, she'll be sore for a while after I'm done."

Levi felt disgusted with Ace's words as he shot him his best evil eye and walked hesitantly to Isabella's table.

His two friends left, figuring that he'd finally talk to her, but he stayed there, neither moving, nor talking, just watching. It was a good thing her head was down in between her arms, for if she were to see his sympathetic brown eyes boring into her skin, she probably wouldn't have stayed for too long.

From outside the window, Kyle gestured for him to sit down in her booth and Ace made another gesture that should not be described, but Levi's voice was failing him.

After what seemed like eternity to him, but was really just a minute, he said almost inaudibly, "Isabella."