thirteen

"Fuck, Levi, what're you calling me for?" Ace groaned into the receiver.

"She's drunk," he whispered, his words coming out as quickly as his pulse.

"Dude," Ace dragged on, and he could pretty much hear the sly smile that came with the emphasized syllable.

He paused and adjusted her on his shoulder. "She's not really drunk, but she's-"

"-oh my god," she squealed as her head lifted from Levi's shoulder, and her wobbly legs stumbled over to the next table, "I'm Isabell-"

Levi walked over, apologized to the nice couple, and supported her back to their booth. "She took something a while ago, and I guess it kicked in, and now she's really loopy."

"You going to-" Ace trailed off as Levi heard him move his phone over to his other ear.

After putting two and two together, and adding in Ace's natural personality, he realized what he was referring to immediately. "No," he answered instinctively, "no, of course not."

"Your call man," he said dismissively then hung up.

Levi watched her doze off on his shoulder, cheeks tinged and eyes fluttering closed. Her mouth was left agape, and her rapid breaths fanned his neck.

He wouldn't do anything to Isabella, wouldn't ever do anything to any girl, he promised his mother when he turned fifteen.

She looked up, eyes still sealed shut and whispered to herself. He caught some moans of Logan and watched her fingers twitch.

"Isabella," he called, nudging her awake, "let's go home, yeah?"

After mumbling something incoherent, her head slumped to one side.

He tried his hardest to lift her, but his unathletic background combined with her lack of support in any way whatsoever, made for the task to be impossible.

Just when he thought he should just call it a day, a voice sounded from behind him, a deep male voice.

"Woah," the guy roughly shoved Levi out of the way and made a beeline for Isabella, "I got you."

Then, in one swift motion, he hoisted Isabella onto his left shoulder and stared at Levi.

"You're with her?" he asked, and although his heart wanted to say yes, the guy's aggressive tone urged him not to.

"No," Levi answered quickly then added, "I'm her cousin."

With those four words, his features softened and he agreed to help Levi take her to his car. He lowered Isabella into the seat and even pulled her seatbelt across her lap.

"Have a nice night-" he paused, in search for his name.

"Levi," he answered with a small smile.

"Right, Levi," he parroted. "Nice to meet you, Levi. I'm Logan."