Seven

"What a plot twist you were."

Faraway

The following day, Athena stood next to Howard as they experimented with the cartridge of one of the weapons that Steve had brought back

The following day, Athena stood next to Howard as they experimented with the cartridge of one of the weapons that Steve had brought back. Howard was examing it as Athena took notes.

"Emission mission signature is unusual," Howard commented, "alpha and beta ray neutral. Though I doubt Rogers picked up on that. Seems harmless enough. Hard to see what all the fuss is about."

"It's glowing," Athena deadpanned.

Howard gently used a tong to remove a pellet before bringing in the other tong. The moment the tongue touched, it set off an almighty explosion that threw Howard and Athena back. Along with the glass in the cage that he previously held the cartridge.

"Write that down," Howard exclaimed as he came over and helped Athena stand up.

"I'm going to go see if Steve has arrived," Athena grumbled as she rubbed her head.

Athena walked around the corner in time to see Lorraine grab Steves tie. Athena froze, not quite sure what to do. Athena watched, waiting with bated breath, as Steve tried to back away from Lorraine. Lorraine seemed determined as she pulled on his tie again.

"Please let go of me," Steve request looked very embarrassed.

Lorraine looked like she was about to ignore him and Steve looked like he wanted saving.

Athena cleared her voice, "Stark and I are ready to show you your equipment."

Steve looked so relieved to see Athena as his head shoot up. Steve hurried away from Lorraine, not even looking back, "perfect. I will do that now."

Lorraine looked like she was about to open her mouth when Peggy walked around the shelves.

"Ah," Athena smiled, drawing attention to Peggy, "you have perfect timing. Shall we go see the new equipment?"

"That seems like a wonderful idea," Peggy smiled as the three of them left, leaving Lorraine behind.

"Thank's for the save," Steve smiled.

"The great Captin Americ needed saving," Athena gasped, mock surprise colouring her words. She then continued more seriously, "you are far too polite. When I'm in that sough of position with a man I just shove them away."

Steve then suddenly noticed some glass in Athena's hair. Reached up, Steve pulled it out carefully, "Is everything okay?" Steve asked quietly.

"I'm fine," Athena grinned. "Experiment went wrong."

Steve could tell from her expression that she was okay, so he changed the subject. "So what do we have," Steve asked as he looked at all the equipment.

"Carbon polymer," Howard told Steve. Painting to cloth on the bench "should withstand your average German bayonet. Although Hydra's not going to attack you with a pocket knife." Howard then looked at the prop shield Steve had been using, "I hear you're uh... kinda attached?" Howard mentioned as he knocked on it.

"It's handier than you might think," Steve defended. He was in fact attached to his shield.

"We took the liberty of coming up with some options," Howard told Steve, gesturing to him and Athena. Then, Howard gestured to one of the shields on the table, "this one's fun. She's been fitted with electrical relays."

"What Howard means is he is showing you all the overly flashy ones." Athena whispers to Steve

Steve chuckled looking around. Suddenly one shield caught Steve's attention. It was a round dish that someone had put under the bench. "What about this one?" Steve asked as he pulled it up.

"No! No! That's just a prototype," Howard waived him off.

"I told you he would go for that one!" Athena cheered, sending Howard a triumphant look.

"What's it made of?" Steve question as he looked at it, sizing it up.

"Vibranium," Athena answered, gently knocking on it with her knuckle.

"It's stronger than steel and a third of the weight." In addition, Howard added, "it's completely vibration absorbent."

"How come it's not a standard issue?" Steve asked as he put it on his arm, trying out the weight. Running his finger along the edge.

"That's the rarest metal on earth," Howard told him. "What you're holding there? That's all we've got."

"What he means," Athena chuckled, "is that you have very expensive tastes, Mr Rogers."

When Peggy came around the corner, Steve held it up for Peggy to see, "What do you think?" He asked.

Peggy picked up a gun aiming it at Steve. Steve pushed Athena behind him as he held up the shield to protect them.

"I think it works," Peggy laughed, "I also think you have good reflexes."

"I had some ideas about the uniform," Steve commented as he passed a piece of paper to Howard.

"Whatever you want, pal," Howard told him.

Athena just laughed at them.