"because...it's you guys"

"He completely ditched you!" Connie Moreau exclaimed.

"I'm sure there was a good reason."

"Have you talked to him about it?" Julie asked.

"Well no, but I know him. He wouldn't do that if there wasn't something important that came up," Rowan defended.

Julie and Connie exchanged knowing glances.

"Hello ladies, what are we talking about?" Charlie Conway asked, sitting down beside Rowan.

"Take a fat guess," Julie said.

"Adam?"

"Yeah," Rowan grumbled.

"You don't sound very happy," The boy observed.

"He abandoned Rowan in the power outage last night," Connie summarized.

"What?"

"We were hanging out in my dorm, I was helping him with chemistry and then the power went out. He left to get flashlights and never came back."

"What time did he leave?"

"I don't know -- probably around 11, maybe 11:30," She estimated. "Why?"

"He didn't get back to the dorm until like 1:15," Charlie told the three girls.

"In the morning?" Connie nearly gasped.

"That's like almost 2 and a half hours after he left you," Julie stated.

"What could he have possibly been doing for 2 hours in the pitch-black dorms?" Charlie questioned.

"Take a fat guess," Julie Gaffney repeated.

"Wait, wh-" Rowan began, but was cut off by a familiar voice.

"Rowan, can we talk?" Adam Banks asked, leaning over the end of the table.

She looked at his face and instantly gave in. "Yeah, I'll be right back guys."

"Is this also gonna take over 2 hours?" Connie mumbled.

"Rowan, I am so so so sorry that I left you last night. I was on my way to my dorm and got caught by a hall monitor, he made me stay in. But, I promise I came back -- I saw you sleeping in the wooden chair and knew I couldn't leave you there. I wanted to stay with you, I really did, but I didn't know if you'd want to see me in the morning," Adam explained to her, taking her hands in his.

He knew he couldn't tell her the truth. He was already mad at himself for going with Amanda -- he couldn't possibly manage if the most important person in the world was mad at him too.

"Adam, it's okay. I get it. You were breaking curfew, you were bound to get caught one of these days. I'm not mad at you. I promise I could never be mad at you," She softly told him, ignoring the nagging feeling that told her not to believe him.

He pulled her into a hug -- his grip around her waist tightening.

"We never finished your science homework," Rowan remembered as they walked back to the dining hall.

"I'm bored of that kind of chemistry," Adam boyishly grinned, lacing his hand within hers.