"well i've certainly had the practice"

The cool air of September weather blew through the trees — summer leaving just as quickly as it came. Rowan Pierce, Adam Banks, Alex Larson, and Brendan McGill all stepped into Edina middle school for the first day of eighth grade, and the final year before high school.

At the same time just a town over, Charlie Conway, Jesse Hall, Fulton Reed, Guy Germaine, Connie Moreau, Lester Averman, and Greg Goldberg walked into Minneapolis's public middle school. They all found it disappointing that two of their best friends were still stuck over at Edina's private school system.

As the four walked throughout the halls leading to their homerooms, Rowan felt stares burn holes into her skin. She began to fidget with the strings of her backpack — Adam taking notice of this. "Hey, you okay?" He asked her, gently taking ahold of her wrist.

"Yeah, just a little nervous I guess," Rowan admitted.

"There's nothing to worry about," He said in an attempt to calm the nerves. "I'll see you in English, alright?"

She nodded as Adam left a kiss on her forehead.

"Bye, guys," Alex called after Brendan and Adam who went their separate ways from the remaining two.

"Let's go, Alexander. I'd hate to be late on our first day," Rowan sighed, already starting to walk in the direction of their classroom.

"I see things with Adam are going well. What is it? Like almost two months?" Alex Larson spoke while catching up to her quick movements.

"Mhm, two months on September 25th," The girl confirmed, the first genuine smile breaking onto her face all morning.

"That's great, truly–" He began to reply, but was quickly distracted as Amelia Zayer walked past them. "Hey, Amelia."

"Oh, hey," She sweetly smiled back at the lovestruck boy.

"H-how was your summer?" Alex stuttered out as Rowan tried to hide her teasing grin.

"It was good. And yours?"

"It was alright, we should've hung out," He said, awkwardly stuffing his hands in his back pockets.

"Yeah, definitely. Maybe we can make up for it this weekend," Amelia suggested, sending Alex into a blushing wreck — a small laugh escaped Rowan's lips.

"Okay, so I'm gonna go. You guys keep flirting, though," Rowan said, quickly walking down the hall, taking the hint to get lost in Alex's wide eyes.

With only 45 seconds until the bell, Alex rushed into the room where Rowan impatiently awaited his arrival. "So when's your date with Amelia?"

"I don't have to tell you that," He whispered.

"You know you want to."

"Okay, so it's this Saturday at 3 pm," The boy instantly gave in.

"Your first date," She awed. "I'm so excited."

"Rowan, I don't know what I'm supposed to do on a date," Alex said, panicked.

"Just ask Adam if you're so worried," She advised.

"Yeah because he was so quick to follow his own advice," He sarcastically shot.