Lady Whistledown

The morning after the presentations I find that I am in no hurry to awake nor get up and about for the day's festivities. But as a young lady I suppose I should rise and greet the day, since all of my staff know better than to wake me unless I have asked them to the night before I wake to the warm sunshine and the sweet sound of birds chirping and singing outside of my London home. It isn't until I head down for breakfast that I hear the bright and chipper voice of my favorite staff member, Marisa. "Good morning, my lady," she walks up to the bottom of the stairs as I near their end.

I smile and with a sigh, remind her of the same thing it seems I do every morning, "Marisa, I've told you, there is no need for formalities. You help me with my corset, my dresses, my hair and my makeup when needed, you can call me Theodora."

"Right," Marisa takes a few large steps to catch up with me as I walk into the dining room, where the cook has already placed my breakfast. "You were just in time, chef was worried it was getting cold."

"Something Mr. Paulson's always worried about. I don't think that man will ever understand that no matter how late I am, I would never miss a meal without informing him. I hate to think he'd waste his talents or food for no one to eat it."

"He just worries about you. We all do."

"Well, thank you," I smile up to Marisa before taking a bite of the breakfast before me, "but I assure you, there is nothing to worry about."

"Isn't there?"

"I'm sorry?"

Marisa shifts a bit, "if you'd allow me to speak freely."

"Of course, Marisa, you know I encourage it."

"Well, it's just that we are all worried that if you find a suitable husband that we will all be out of a job."

I chuckle, "like I said, there is nothing to worry about." I take a deep breath, picking up the glass of juice on the table, "by the end of this season I will still be unwed and you all will still have a job with this household."

"Yes, but maybe next season will...."

"Marisa," I look up to her, seeing the worry and fear of being unemployed and out on the streets. If any of the many lovely men and women who help run my home were to lose their jobs they would be not only unemployed, but homeless as well, "none of you have any need to worry. There is and will always be room and positions for you in my home. No matter what the future holds, that will never change."

"Thank you, my lady," Marisa lets out a sigh of relief. "Oh," Marisa jumps a bit as she scrambles for something in her pocket, "this was on the doorstep this morning."

"What is it?" I take the folded piece of paper from Marisa.

"It looks like a new gossip strand."

"Lady Whistledown, I don't believe I know anyone with such a name."

Marisa shakes her head, "I've certainly never heard of any lady with that name."

"Well, if she's smart it isn't her real name." I begin to read over the pamphlet, "especially with what she's written." I chuckle a bit, "she has implied that Daphne and I are rivals for this season's Incomparable."

"At least she has one thing right," Marisa smiles, being ever so sweet.

"Half right, but then again I suppose a broken clock is still right at least twice a day." I lean back and chew on my thumb nail, "I wonder who this Lady Whistledown could be."