Danbury's Ball

Other than the Scandal Papers by Lady Whistledown, the only other mail of note is an invitation to the season's opening ball at Danbury House, one of the most highly sought-after invitations of the year. I remember my father receiving invitations almost every year after my mother died. I think Lady Danbury, who is and always has been a close family friend, had always hoped that my father would love again. After all every young debutante from Park Lane to Regent Street is invited and on display, something I loathe the idea of. But I cannot bring myself to deny the invitation of a friend, whom I hold so dear to my heart.

I prepare for the party and try my best to dress so that anyone who is looking for the lovely young ladies on the marriage market might simply overlook me. I pick a long sleeved dress that is darker in tones than the dresses many of the other ladies will surely be wearing. As I walk into the room, I am overcome with the smell of desperation as I hear young ladies bragging about their various accomplishments, skills and hobbies. As well as their mother's adding insult to injury as they add unneeded notes on their daughter's skills. Soon, as I walk around the room looking for some form of entertainment, I am found and rescued by Lady Danbury, "Theodora, my dear, is that you?"

I turn upon hearing the voice that has been like music to me since childhood, "Lady Danbury." The two of us share a hug and friendly peck on the cheek.

"I was unsure if you'd be in attendance tonight, I know how you dread these events, much like your father once did." Lady Danbury takes a deep breath as she takes a step back, "you look so much like your mother." I take a deep breath and smile, "elegance and beauty," Lady Danbury smiles, "lord only knows what she saw in your father." The two of us laugh, "but he was a good man, who did a fine job in raising you, my dear."

"Thank you."

"Now, let's see if we can stir up any trouble," Lady Danbury and I link arms as we walk around the floor. As we make our rounds we come across several of the Brigderton siblings standing and talking,

I take a deep breath and sigh a bit, "the Bridgerton gene is something else."

"That it is," Lady Danbury chuckles, soon Anthony, the oldest Brigderton brother straightens up and the others all begin to move away, but are stopped by Lady Danbury, "too late. I already noted you."

All three of the brothers turn to Lady Danbury and I, speaking in unison, "Lady Danbury," before bowing their heads and Daphne does as well.

"Miss Brigderton, you look lovely this evening. Is there a reason I've yet to see you on the dance floor?"

Antony steps up beside his sister, "all in good time, Lady Danbury."

I smile to Daphne, who is looking at me a bit shocked, "it's nice to see you again, Miss Bridgerton."

"And you as well, Miss Stourton," Daphne nods, "is it Miss or Lady?"

"Technically Miss, I believe."

"Right, I enjoyed our talk the other day while waiting to meet the Queen."

"As did I."

"Maybe we could continue our chat another time? Perhaps brunch at our family home?"

"Provided you do not have too many suitors, I think that would be lovely. I truly hate the idea that the marriage market must make enemies of us all."

Lady Danbury looks to the second and third Brigderton boys, Benedict and Collin, "can I trust the two of you to keep this one out of trouble?"

"Of course," Benedict nods, smiling to Lady Danbury, "we will see to it that she is treated as a lady should be."

"Good," Lady Danbury smiles toward me and gives me a sneaky wink, "have a good evening."