Opera

Lady Whistledown continues to write about Simon stating that he is continuing to grace London and the ton with his presents. She also continues to speculate that I have his Grace's attention, something that should surely make all the young ladies in the ton jealous and their dear mamas furious. But I am sure it will not stop them from trying to woo Simon into marriage with their daughters, after all who wouldn't want a Duke.

Marisa continues to remind me and keep tabs on how many young suitors they are forced to turn away, due to my ever-presence at the Bridgerton home. But Lady Whistledown also reports on this and the fact that Simon and I have declared that not only are we not interested in each other, but we are not interested in marrying anyone, ever. Besides, it seems that my energies are best spent at the Bridgerton home, trying to help poor Daphne from having to marry the only suitor she seems to have, Lord Berbrooke. However the only thing I seem to be doing at the Bridgerton home is speaking to the Viscountess, who has no end of lovely stories about the love she and her late husband once shared.

Weeks pass and every marriage minded young man on the ton, other than Lord Berbrooke, seems to be chasing the hand of Marina Thompson, who seems to be this year's true Diamond of the First Water. Even though she has this great beauty under her roof, I am sure that Lady Featherington is less than thrilled it isn't one of her own daughters. But it seems that we should all have a break this evening at the opera, one of my favorite events of the season. As I walk in, I am stopped and trapped by Lady Danbury, who walks me over to the Queen herself. The two of us bow before Lady Danbury begins to speak, "your Majesty."

"Lady Danbury," the Queen answers in a somewhat cheery voice, one that I imagine she doesn't use often, given the state of the King's mind. "And Miss Strouton. How lovely to see you again."

I smile, "it is lovely to see you again as well, your Majesty."

"I have to say I am a bit surprised to see that you and the Duke of Hastings seem to be spending a lot of your time together, even though you both claim to never plan on marrying. Are these rumors true?"

I take a deep breath, knowing I cannot tell the Queen that I never plan to take a husband, so I come up with a lie, that isn't entirely untruthful, "while I cannot speak for his Grace on the matter of marriage, I do know that I do not intend on marrying the Duke. While friendship may be the best foundation for a marriage, I believe the love I share with his Grace to be that of the love a sister would have for her brother."

"Of course, what more should be expected given your growth into youth together. But that still does not answer my question about the rumors that you never intend on taking a husband at all. Surely that cannot be true."

"I do not intend on finding my match this season, your Majesty. That would be the bold and brave choice, would it not?"

"Indeed it would," the Queen nods, remembering what she had told me at the presentations. "With the right attitude and the proper timing, that should play in your favor."

I look out over the sea of faces and see Daphne and her mother, I am not the only one to spot them, since Lady Danbury soon calls out to them, "Lady Bridgerton." The Viscountess stops and spins around, looking for the voice that just called her name, "do join us."

Of course, she and Daphne waste little time hurrying to the Queen's feet, bowing once they arrive, "your Majesty, good evening. You must remember my daughter, Daphne."

"Yes," the Queen smiles, this one tight and forced, "she made quite the impression, however fleeting it may have been. But I did not expect the two young ladies I had pegged as the greatest of rivals this season to become close friends." With this the Queen, her ladies and lord take their leave.

Lady Danbury then turns to the two Bridgerton ladies, "I would like to welcome you both to my box this evening, to watch the performance with Theodora and myself. I insist." Daphne and her mother join Lady Danbury and I in her box for the performance. The Lady and Viscountess sitting in the chairs behind Daphne and myself, speaking about the Queen, who's box is just across the way. Chatting as the performance begins, "they are saying her husband will not live till the end of the month."

"Surely another rumor provided by that vicious, scandal-mongering writer. Should her degradation know no bounds?"

Daphne and I try to keep our focus on the show, but it is hard not to over hear, "Lady Whistledown writes about my family too. Yet I suppose the Duke can withstand such scrutiny, since he is, after all, a man. I do not know about Theodora. She is strong and confident, but Lady Whistledown could easily ruin the Strouton name if she saw fit."

"Both his Grace and our beloved Theodora were fortunate to have you with them as children and even very recently. After what happened to his Grace's mother and the Lady's father... awful."

"They're not what Whistledown writes, or at least the Duke is not."

"Nor is Daphne."

"It would seem they have that much in common, then. Matches have certainly been made with far less."

"But I thought the Duke and Theodora were?"

"Oh no, my dear. Theodora is like a younger sister to his Grace and he an elder brother to her. Lady Whistledown merely writes what she sees. Perhaps we need to help her to see things a bit more clearly. The Duke is quite fond of gooseberry pie."

"The very dish my cook is renowned for," the two share a chuckle.