Lord Berbrooke

One day I am spending my morning with the Bridgerton ladies. Anthony had gone to his club, the other brothers are gone who knows where, and no suitors had yet arrived. Eloise, who had been reading the latest issue of Lady Whistledown, quickly drops the Scandal Papers into her lap, "has anyone else read what Lady Whistledown has written of late?"

"Is it more scandal about how I refuse to see any suitors and rather spend my time helping a dear friend and with her family," I look over to Eloise.

"Should anyone pay any heed to what Lady Whistledown writes of late?" The youngest Bridgerton, Hyacinth, turns around in her chair. "I certainly do not."

"Smart girl," I smile over to her, "pay no mind to what others may write or think of you. Only pay mind to what you think of you."

Daphne, who has been pacing in front of the fireplace, turns to her mother, "Mama, perhaps we might attend the upcoming Salisbury ball by ourselves and the Merriweather tea too."

The Viscountess adjusts herself on the couch, "I believe that Anthony has already replied on our behalf, dearest. Apparently, he has managed our social calendar through June."

"He'll be there for the entire season?"

I look over to the Viscountess. "I do not wish to speak ill of the Lord, but he seems to be scaring away all of our lovely Daphne's suitors."

"Yes, well, he believes he knows what, and who, is best."

Eloise stands from her seat on the couch, "Lady Whistledown has made her opinion of our dear sister's fortunes quite clear."

Daphne sighs, "enough about Lady Whistledown."

We all sit in a state of silence, which feels like it lasts forever, until the doorman comes into the room, "a caller for Miss Bridgerton."

"Oh," the Viscountess gets up with a getty chuckle, probably excited that Anthony is not there to spoil a good thing before it can happen.

But the name announced is one I can guarantee Daphne wished the doorman would never begin to utter, "the Lord Berbrooke."

Once he is announced Berbrooke glides confidently into the room and everyone's smiles, if they had one, becomes strained and forced. The Viscountess bows the slightest bit, as her glance shifts around, "Lord Berbrooke. Um... uh... come in. May I help you to some freshly prepared biscuits? Eloise, allow some room for his lordship, will you?" But Eloise does not move, "Eloise, are you not due for a visit with Penelope this morning?"

Eloise nods, "I believe I should like to stay."

"I believe you should like to go."

I sigh, "come Eloise, we can review some of the material you have borrowed recently."

Eloise gets up and nods, clearing her throat as she walks over to me and we exit the room. Once we are out I walk around to the second door to the drawing room, which is currently closed. "What are you doing?"

"You don't think I'd truly leave your sister with Lord Berbrooke? That horrid man doesn't deserve his title, let alone your sister."

Eloise smiles, "you're going to spy on their conversation?"

"No, we are. And from here we will be able to laugh and make all the faces we wish at Lord Berbrooke."

Eloise lets out a loud sigh, "why could you not have been my sister?"

Eloise and I listen in on Berbrooke and Daphne's conversation, since they are close to the doors and the house is quiet and still, we merely have to stand on the other side and we can hear them. "Forgive me for not calling sooner. I presumed your affections were already engaged. Now I know. You and I were destined for each other." Eloise and I look toward the other and cringe.

Then I hear a crunching sound, which is no doubt Berbrooke eating one of the biscuits the Bridgerton cook had made, "can the man do anything quietly?" Eloise whispers to me.

"No," I shake my head, "that requires one to have shame." Eloise and I soon decide to leave the two alone and take our leave, Eloise going to the Featherington's to see her friend Penelope, while I head out on a stroll around the park.