CHAPTER 8: Like A Broken Record

Kevin woke up with a start

Kevin woke up with a start. Huge blue eyes with shrinking irises and big black pupils gave out the terrifying nightmare he had. The feeling lingered past his awakening. Chills, horrifying images, whispering voices, and hammering heartbeats all manifested at once.

"Kevin." A hand rested on his shoulder. "Are ya alright?"

Steering his wide gaze to the left, Kevin found Duke with his dirty blonde hair pulled back into a messy bun, his stubble beard thicker than last week.

"You were screaming."

"I was?" Kevin finally blinked. "What did I say?"

Duke helped him sit up on the couch of the bohemian-style living room.

"Something about a reaper." Duke sat to the right and sighed. "You've been having these nightmares for a while now, and I'm damn curious what they're about. Can ya remember anything about the one you just had? Maybe I can help."

"I think..." Kevin stared deeply into Duke's sharp blues. "He was coming to get me." He slowly turned away, narrowing his eyes, concentrating on the wooden floor. "I was always running, afraid of dying." His eyebrows furrowed in painful thought. "He keeps coming for me, and I can't get rid of him. Sometimes I feel like he's with me in the same room."

'That's you!' a voice yelled in Duke's head. 'You're the reaper, you moron!'

'But,' a timid voice started. 'Kevin doesn't know that. If he did, why would he tell you this?'

'Abort! Abort!' another voice, panicked. 'Change the subject! Quick, before the little brat figures it out.'

"Well." Duke swallowed a big puff of air, nearly gasping. "That exercise went great." He slapped his thighs before jolting up with a nervous chuckle. "You remembered a dream.... or a nightmare. Whatever." He shrugged, grinning with his eyes wide open. "That's harder than remembering what we had for breakfast, before your nap."

'Change the subject! Now!'

"Ah. By the way." Duke's voice sounded like a dying animal, a little higher than he expected. "What did we have for breakfast?"

"Umm." Kevin stared confused for a second before he cheerfully answered, "Waffles!"

Duke swung a finger at Kevin. "That's right!" His teeth were visible through a big stupid grin. "You're on a roll."

Kevin smiled, proud of his achievement.

Duke was glad Kevin never mentioned the screaming woman from this morning. He managed to dodge that bullet, but of course, he knew this wouldn't last. Still, it felt nice keeping his sweet Kevin in the dark for a little longer, so forgetful, so innocent.

In the afternoon, it was time for solving a crossword puzzle to improve Kevin's memory and vocabulary. While Kevin was working on the puzzle, Duke brought a cup of coffee for him. Kevin thanked Duke as he took a while to seize the cup carefully in his weak grip without dropping it.