CHAPTER 13: Rock Bottom

A rumbling in the distance tore Kevin's attention away from the subject of Gale's twin sister

A rumbling in the distance tore Kevin's attention away from the subject of Gale's twin sister. They both looked behind them, not really making out the thing that made that sound, but it had one headlight. They stared at each other, eyes were dark pools of fear.

A motorcycle.

"It's him." Kevin panicked.

They picked up their pace, Kevin stumbling a few times, Gale pulling him before he could hit the snowy ground. There was no rhythm, just erratic fear-stuck running for dear life.

The rumbling drew nearer, lights looming around them, and then—Boom!

The gunshot went through a tree trunk in front of them, halting them before they changed their course and continued running, evading trees and branches.

Bang! Another shot flew in the air.

"He's getting closer," Kevin panted in a voice strained with fear. "Gale, what are we gonna do?"

"Just keep mov—"

"Wah." Kevin tripped "Aaaahhh..." His scream faded.

He slipped from Gale's grip and disappeared. The ground swallowed him with a splash.

Gale stopped dead in her track to avoid falling into the same pit that took Kevin.

She knelt and shouted, "Kevin!"

Kevin came out of the water with a gasp. The freezing cold shocked him to the bone. Wet hair stuck to his face. Glistening water ran down his pale skin.

He wiped the long strands that blocked his vision and gazed up, glimpsing Gale's silhouette.

"Gale! Run!"

Her strong demeanor faltered. There was hesitation and panic in her actions.

"Just go!" Kevin waved at her to leave.

She glanced behind her, then turned back and said, "I'll bring help." Her voice quivered. "I promise."

Her silhouette moved away and all Kevin could see up there were the lights, getting brighter and brighter. Kevin hugged his soaked trembling frame and stayed silently still, afraid that the slightest ripple could expose his location to Duke. He prayed with all his heart that Duke wouldn't notice him. Even freezing to death in this icy pit beat being caught by Duke.

The rumbling vibrated the water surface and echoed in the pit. The lights illuminated the snowflakes above him. Then—swoosh—Snow flew into the hole. The motorcycle just passed it.

Kevin let out a breath of relief, but then quickly sucked it back in.

The engine popped and stopped. Then it revved again. It turned back to the opening of the pit.

The noise roared above Kevin's head. He never stopped staring at the opening. Then a flashlight blinded him. Kevin blocked the light with his hand and flinched when he heard that awful deep voice that made his skin crawl.

"Well, well, well," Duke started. "What do we have here?"

Kevin swallowed hard. He squinted his eyes and turned his head up. All he could see was a large dark figure behind that light.

"Aw. Aren't you pretty!"

Duke didn't sound mad. His voice was mellow and giddy, but that didn't make Kevin feel any better. There was a layer of dirty meanings underneath that calm tone, and it scared the shit out of Kevin.

"I'll be back for ya, Kevy. Don't go anywhere." Duke snorted at his joke.

Duke disappeared from view. The engine started with a loud pop, then rumbled away. It was dark again in the pit. Kevin was alone with his thoughts in the freezing waters.

He touched his surroundings and found pointy rocks everywhere. He thought about climbing them but he wasn't even strong enough to walk on his own. The water covered him from the chest and below, making his body light enough to stand without support.

Panic grew in his stomach, twisting it in painful knots. He clutched his head and had difficulty breathing. The pulsing in his temples intensified as the reality of the situation sank in. Duke was going to come back and get him. He would be captured again by that psycho. He was weak and helpless and God knows what that perv would do to him after this escape attempt.

"No. No." Kevin gulped and shook his head. "This can't be happening. Not again."

He pulled the soggy coat off of him, and before he threw it away, he took a knife out of it. He slid the knife into the waistband of his pants and glided towards the rocks. He touched the rocks, trying to grab them with a solid grip. He planted one foot up. Once he gripped tightly, he pulled himself upward with all his might and quickly pushed one of his hands up to grab another rock.

He grunted and couldn't keep his position for more than a second when he tumbled. The water rippled and Kevin groaned, grabbing his wrist. The sharp rocks wounded it, but only a scrape.

He turned around assessing his escape routes. The pit was at least thirty feet deep and ten feet wide, surrounded by walls of rocks. There was no way out of it without someone's help. Kevin had chills when he imagined that someone to be Duke.

Terror mounted with every breath he took. Tears stung his eyes. His hands moved between tugging at his hair and touching his neck anxiously. A lump formed in his throat, blocking his airway, blocking his ability to scream. He spun around and all he could see was a prison. He turned and turned, hopelessly searching for a way out. His breathing accelerated, burned, and rattled his little chest until that trapped scream erupted from every bit of his being.

"Help! Somebody help me!" He turned around and around, hysterically screaming, "Get me out of here! Get me out! Get me out!"

The pricking tears finally escaped, brimming his heavy eyelashes and crossing his flushed cheeks. His screams were reduced to whines, small cries of a wounded puppy.

"Please, help. Please." He took a deep breath, sending it out in waves of sobs. "Why is this happening to me?" He wiped his tears "Why?"

Kevin hugged himself and leaned on the wall behind him, silently crying.

OMG I'M SO SCARED FOR KEVIN 😱😭😭

What do you think that psycho will do to him? 😨