CHAPTER 14: Psycho Tantrum

Kevin's sobs diminished into sniffles and involuntary quick inhales of breath

Kevin's sobs diminished into sniffles and involuntary quick inhales of breath. The faraway shootings startled him. Then, things went quiet for a while.

The cold bit his body. His teeth chattered and his lips turned purplish-blue. The tip of his nose and cheeks were pink and frosty. He moved his hands on his shoulders in circular motions, seeking some warmth.

The rumbling returned and Kevin's heart jumped. He glued his back to spiky walls, attempting to hide.

The engine revved closer and closer until it stopped right above. The lights shone to the side of the pit and a set of feet rotated to the opposite side as if on purpose to give Kevin a clear view.

The voice of a struggling woman gave Kevin a clue of what happened; Gale was caught. She was grunting and thrashing near the pit.

Duke peeked, holding a very naked Gale. He pressed a knife at her throat. The latter whimpered and quit fighting. Her leg looked busted open and bleeding.

Kevin's limbs felt like jelly upon witnessing the harrowing sight. If it weren't for the water keeping him afloat he would have collapsed to the ground. And that disturbing grin on Duke's face, Kevin knew damn well what it meant, and it made him sicker than ever.

Duke was on one of his temper tantrums.

"Oh, great. You're still here." Duke chuckled. "So. Here's the thing." He grunted as he pulled Gale to the edge. "Since my ride can only take two people, one of you has to stay. If I take cop lady here with me, you'll freeze to death before I come back to get you. And if I take you, then she's gonna run away again." Duke had a sly grin when he slowly turned to face Kevin. "What should I do?"

"Please. Don't." Kevin shook his head and suppressed a whimper. "Don't hurt her."

Even though Duke was grinning, his eyes exposed the anger building inside him. The pair of blues made this crazy look like they were bulging out. He pressed the knife harder into Gale's skin, making her shudder.

"Please," Kevin stepped forward and begged, holding back his tears. "Just let her go."

"Oh. Ya know what?" Duke watched Gale gasping in his hold as the blade gradually punctured her. "I already had my share of this candy." His tongue ran across her jawline making her whimper. "Time to taste something new." He tilted his head at Kevin. "Like you."

Kevin quickly hid under his arms and looked away, bracing himself for Gale's death. He knew how Duke liked to make him watch, so he decided that he wouldn't be forced to watch this time.

"OK. OK." Duke sighed. "I'll let her go."

Kevin slowly fluttered his eyes open, his mind registering what was heard. Like walking on eggshells, Kevin cautiously turned and hesitantly looked up again.

As soon as Kevin's arctic blues met with Duke's crazy ones, the knife moved, slitting Gale's throat in half. Blood gushed out in surges, falling like a downpour on Kevin's face.