CHAPTER 3: White Room

A white room, drained from all emotions

A white room, drained from all emotions. A white room, deprived of any color, sound, and movement. A white room filled with empty shells of people, sitting in a long hallway of metallic chairs, cold as the atmosphere around it.

That's where Kevin found himself, resting beside all those numb strangers with white scrubs. Dissociated. Together, but apart.

They were all waiting.

Kevin was confused. This didn't make any sense to him, yet it somehow did. He found it easy to follow the weird rules of this odd world he was in. Sit and be quiet. Wait.

A weightless, black backpack was strapped on his shoulders. He didn't know why he was carrying it, but there was something about it that made him feel it was important. He felt it in his bones.

Then, something happened. Whispers were heard. The people cautiously moved their heads left and right. They whispered in fear.

"The reaper is coming. The reaper is coming."

The whispers became louder. The panic grew in the people, forcing them to stand and check their surroundings. Kevin stood with them too, but not without his backpack. He wasn't sure what they were looking for, but he, too, looked around.

"The reaper is coming."

They were scared, terrified to death, like something was watching them. No! Hunting them.

All of a sudden, a shadow engulfed the far end of the white hallways, turning everything in its way black.

A man yelled when he saw it, "THE REAPER IS HERE."

Everyone ran in different directions, as long as they were away from the shadow. Then they started disappearing one by one behind colorful doors that weren't there before.

Kevin panicked along with them when he saw the large shadow drawing near. He found a red door and pushed it open without even thinking. As soon as he went inside the room behind the door he picked, he shut his eyes tight at the coming shadow and slammed the door closed.

Silence. Calm. Peaceful.

Kevin could feel the warmth of the new room radiating through him. He opened his eyes and found himself in a little boy's body—a toddler's body—sitting too close to an old TV in a cozy living room. 

The TV was playing a home video, recorded in a hospital room. A young woman rested on a bed, exhausted after a long labor. Her silky brown hair was all over the pillow under her head.

"Congratulations, Jenny," said the voice behind the camera—an old lady's heartwarming voice. "It's a healthy baby boy. He's beautiful." She approached.